It's Just A Joke: 4

Yay! A new chapter! I have so much fun writing this story. <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing at the steps that lead up to the school scared me. I managed a shaky breath and clutched my suitcase's handle a little tighter, like it was a pet's leash and I didn't want it to run away. Closing my eyes for a moment, I tried to work up the courage to enter.

After a few minutes of courage gathering, I opened the commercial glass doors, like the ones you see at almost any business, and looked around the hallway I had entered. The ceilings were high and the hallway itself branched off to my right and to my left, about seventy in each direction. I noticed that the front desk was actually right in front of me. Ten feet away tops. I was alone with my suitcase, apart from the lonely secretary sitting behind the front desk in a pant suit. It was then that I noticed the walls. They were beige and boring. Imagining what Azare would be able to do if he was allowed to paint them, I smiled. 

Before I honestly wanted her to, the secretary noticed me standing there like a freak. I gave her my best polite smile, one that had been put out of commission for months because I wanted to upset my father. She rolled her eyes and I suddenly remembered that this was a school for delinquents and I probably wasn't going to get any brownie points for being polite.

"Name?"

I blinked and realized she was addressing me, but when I think about it, who else would she have been addressing?

"Quintana Marie Florence. I have the rest of my papers and identification." I walked over to the desk and gave her another polite smile and the paperwork I knew she needed.

She nodded curtly and took the stack of papers from me, looking them over before filing them away in a large beige filing cabinet. After a moment, she came back to her desk and checked my ID to make sure I was who I claimed to be.

"Here's your dorm room key. It's room 382. Meaning it's on the third floor, in the eighth hallway, and room two. Your roommate is Amy Clarence and her criminal record isn't too bad, just some assault and battery as well as disturbing the peace. Here is your schedule, a map of the school, the bell schedule, and your student handbook. The handbook will tell you the rules, what's expected of you, consequences, and what days you will attend your classes. Take care and good luck, Princess Florence."

I tried to give her a smile, but it turned into a grimace and I picked up everything. Consulting my map and dragging my suitcase behind me, I spent twenty minutes wandering around the empty hallways before I realized I was on the wrong side of the campus and turned around. After another half hour, I was lost once again and collapsed onto a bench that was in the hallway for students to eat lunch at or do homework or something.

I glared at my map for about ten more minutes before I saw hand rest upon my shoulder. Flinching back, my chocolate brown eyes came in contact with sapphire blue ones. 

"Lost?" the owner of those amazing eyes chuckled and I nodded, not able to speak. I noticed that he had long, black skater hair, that was the only way I could describe it, and his sly smirk stretched into a mischievous grin.

"Well, looks like you're a newbie here, huh? What's your name and why'd your parents send you here to Winters?"

I was kind of surprised at how nice he was being to me, I mean this was a school for "the criminal," but I decided that I could trust him, just a little bit.

"My name's Quintana Florence and I pissed my dad off because I threw a biscuit in his soup and stormed across the table to yell at him."

The stranger laughed and I blushed. After a few moments, he calmed down a bit. "You were sent here for throwing food and walking on a table? Dude, I don't want to know what your old man would've done if I was his kid."