= 8 =

Even though they've been sent away by Soyeon and they're allowed to rest before having to rise again early in the morning, San can't sleep. When he checks his phone it's still the same number calling him over again, and he refuses to answer it, either letting it ring long enough to become a missed call or swiping his thumb across the screen to shut it down.

He sighs, something making him uneasy even though Soyeon assured them that they wouldn't have to be following her anymore for today. They know she's with her boyfriend, and although they're hired to become her personal bodyguards, it's not like the house goes totally unguarded. She has her own set of guards protecting the house round the clock, so their main focus is only on her.

In their room, Seonghwa on the bed beside him is sleeping like a baby, hands curled into fists on either side of his face. His eyes are tight shut, unmoving even as San accidentally drops his phone to the hardwood floor. Waving a hand over his teammate's face to see whether he's actually asleep, San realizes that Seonghwa doesn't seem like he would wake up even as the whole house is turned upside down.

Putting on his slippers, he steps out of the guest bedroom that has been turned into theirs, while Jongho and Yunho share the bedroom located beside theirs. As they signed the contract that put them in place as Soyeon's bodyguards, the job requires them to reside in the same house as her, and she's kind enough to be giving them two bedrooms, which are even bigger than their whole dorm back in Linaria District. When they're off-duty, she has permitted them to roam anywhere inside or outside, except for the topmost floor where her bedroom is, unless she requests them to guard that floor.

So far, there has been no need. And again, they still think hiring the four of them is too much of a stretch.

Considering that he has no restrictions in walking around the house, he walks around aimlessly in search for a place he could sit and see whether sleep would come to him. As he walks down the stairs his hairs stand on end when he feels like something is moving in the dark at the bottom of the stairs. He wouldn't say he's the bravest out of the four as he slowly walks down and squints his eyes to see...

"Panther!" an aggressive voice comes out of the dark followed by something flying in the air, and then a soft thud.

San gets taken by surprise that he loses his own footing, tumbling down the steps and his body hitting something else that causes him to stop rolling. Hissing in pain he opens his eyes only to have a pair of yellow eyes staring down at him and a weight pressing down on his chest, but before he could scream a hand clamps over his mouth. His first instinct is to fight off like how he's trained to, but the voice that comes next made him realize that he recognizes the voice, and it's an animal that's sitting on top of him.

"It's me, Kang Yeosang. Don't scream or you'll wake the others up."

San slaps his hand away before sitting upright and the animal on his chest jumps to the next person, snuggling into Yeosang's arms. "Well if you're not creeping in this house looking suspicious then maybe I won't!" he screams in a hushed voice. "What on earth do you think you're doing, creeping around the house at 2 in the freaking morning?"

Yeosang blinks before narrowing his eyes. "Isn't that a question I should be asking you? I'm a veteran at this house and you're only a one-week tenant. The one being suspicious is you."

"I-" he presses his lips when he realizes he got caught with no good reply. It does seem suspicious how he's walking around the house while wearing his pajamas, acting as if he knows the way around the house when he still gets lost even after a week of observing the ways around the house. He hasn't been in a house that big for a while. "Well, I wasn't trying to do anything suspicious." He quickly adds, "I couldn't sleep, but I didn't want to switch on the lights because that might wake people up."