= 17 =

It was a simple request; the virtue of wanting to make things right with the twin he never knew existed, despite not having neither shared blood nor the same DNA. It was her dream all along, to have a father figure to look up to, call someone her family knowing that he would sacrifice anything for the sake of his daughter. Sure, she admits that her two housemates are like family to her, but the feeling is simply... different. But that doesn't mean she would be leaving them even though she's getting what she wanted.

"I can't leave them," Danbi says directly to Wonshik, eyes already dried up of the tears. "Not my two housemates."

"Danbi..." Hongjoong trails off. "You don't have to worry about us."

"No," she says, unsure of whether she's talking to Hongjoong or Wonshik, maybe even both. "If you want to make it up to me, invite me to live here... fine. But include them too. If there are people that I won't hesitate to die for, it's them. So let them in too."

Wonshik leans back on the chair, contemplating. He glances at the bodyguards; clearly they are impressed at how Danbi is directing this meeting. Despite having bawled her eyes out a few minutes ago, she seems to have regained composure and is wanting things to be done her way. She somehow reminds them of Madam Seo; that elegance of having something go their way even if that means having an underlying threatening tone.

"You want them to move in here with you," Wonshik reiterates, still contemplating.

"Yes. It's not fair that I get to live in a huge mansion while I leave my housemates behind in that poor neighbourhood. They are the people who have been with me through ups and downs, and I'm not just about to-" she pauses, the taste of the word feeling bitter in her mouth, "-abandon them."

He releases a long, heavy breath before nodding. "You two are welcomed, since my daughter-" he shakes his head, "-ah, can I start calling you that now?"

There's no hesitation in her voice; it's what she's been waiting for. "Of course."

"Since my daughter is friends with you, I believe there's no reason for me to stop you from moving in together with her. Just-" he nods once, "-know the limits then you're welcomed to stay here."

There is a knock on the door and he gives permission to Yeosang to enter; it's the first time he's seeing Danbi's face, and his reaction is unlike the others. He only stares at her before saying, "Huh, you do look a lot like her." Then he goes on to standing next to the bodyguards, waiting for Wonshik's instructions. He's the least unfazed, probably already accepting the fact that his childhood friend has an identical twin and has prepared himself early on.

"Here?" Danbi repeats.

"Or..." Wonshik glances to Yeosang. "You're welcomed to stay at Soyeon's house."

"Sir, that's not-" Yeosang starts, this time showing a stronger reaction than he did than when he saw Danbi for the first time. He advances towards the table, almost looking like he's about to flip it over. "Your daughter- your other daughter is still missing and you're letting her... twin live there."

"Kang Yeosang," he's starting to give a warning, "that house technically is mine. That's all my money; who are you to tell me what to do with it? Plus, what's wrong with wanting to give my other daughter a place to stay? Fine," he leans back, "I can build another mansion for her, but what's wrong in letting her stay in that ownerless mansion for the time being?"

Danbi is currently feeling uncomfortable; she has suspected how there would be some who would not welcome her here but not this strongly. She doesn't know what to feel about Wonshik suddenly being on her side; she's torn between trying to figure out Wonshik's true intentions and understanding this Yeosang's - whom she doesn't know what relationship he has with Soyeon - strong disagreement in letting her stay there.