I Have A Strange Family Reunion

I do not own anything from the Percy Jackson series but my own.

I Have A Strange Family Reunion

I'm sitting in a small kitchen, playing with a boy that looks about seven and a toddler that's about three. I go to a different angle and see myself. We all have black hair, but the boy's eye's are sea-green along with the little toddler. Mine are always changing, like it can't decide what to stay on. I look about six. We're all helping a woman that has brown hair and blue eyes that change in the light. She looks at me and gives me a warm smile.

I come back to reality.

I've been getting flashbacks for years. Since that time, though, it's been about five years. I live in an alley way in New York and have my own little "house" made of cardboard boxes and for a roof a slab of wood. The only things I really have is a tattered blanket, the clothes I'm wearing, and a silver ring with twenty-four leaves. The leaves look like a bronze color. I would sell it, but every time it just reappears back onto my finger and I get into trouble.

I wish I knew who my family was. When I was about six months old, I was taken in the middle of the night and left in the middle of nowhere. I was found and taken care of, until I was five and ran away. I wanted to find my real family, and this is the one place where my hope felt stronger, so I stayed. I could of gone. There was once when I almost did. I met a boy with black curly hair and brown eyes that gave him the impression that he drank too much caffeine, but never got his name. It's was weird, but I liked him around. He has a great sense of humor.

I watch as others pass me, on their ways to school. They complain about it 24/7, but I would give anything to go to school and have a proper roof over my head. I count them as they go. 27. . .29. . .44. Wait, 44? That's more than the usual. I crawl into the center of the alley way and run out to see the extra three. I spot a little girl, a boy, maybe a year older than me, both with black hair, and a kid who has crutches. I can't see anything else about him because he covers up pretty well. I feel like I should know the boy and girl with black hair though. . .

"Hello?" I call out to them. The kid with the crutches turns around and he spots me. His eyes widen and tells the other two something. I wait there as the kid comes over to me and the other two continue to walk.  

"What's you name?" he asks in a frantic tone.  

"Fauna, why?" I reply to him as I try to look over his shoulder to find the other two gone.  

"How. . .how is this possible?" he asks it to himself.  

"Wait, before anything, what's your name? And who are those other two?"  

"I'm Grover. I'll tell you who the other two are later, but now, follow me." he tells me as he turns and starts towards the direction of where the other two went. I follow him, thinking the if I get mugged, that's okay. I don't have anything else, really.

We arrive at a school and he leads me inside. I'm actually in a school. I can't help but look around, being that I've never been into one. I was just always afraid, and if I tried, I ran into trouble. Grover leads me into a classroom, where a man in a wheelchair sits at his desk.

"Chir-I mean, Mr. Brunner, meet Fauna. . ." he glances over at me.  

"Jackson." I say. They exchange a glance before Mr. Brunner speaks. He has brown hair and brown eyes.  

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Jackson." He motions for Grover and they whisper to each other for a bit till Grover nods.  

"Follow me." Grover says as he grabs a pack that Mr. Brunner had in his drawer. I follow him to a girl's bathroom.  

"What now?" I ask him.  

"You change." he says, tossing me the pack. "After you do, come back to Mr. Brunner's classroom. Okay?"  

"Okay." I say. I walk into the bathroom and go into a stall. I take a look at the pack. It was orange with a main pocket and two smaller ones. I open the pack and pull out a red shirt and a pair of jeans, with other things that shouldn't be mentioned. I put them on and pull out a pair of combat boots and a plain leather jacket. How can all of this stuff fit into here?

I walk out of the stall and comb out my hair with a brush that was in a smaller pocket. I walk out and head towards Mr. Brunner's classroom. He's in the middle of teaching some other kids, including Grover. I knock on the door and walk into the classroom. Mr. Brunner looks over at me and gives me a warm smile.

"Class, meet Fauna. She's visiting for the day." he says.  

"Hey. Hola. Bonjour. Aloha. Ni hao. However you say hello." I say with a salute.  

A girl with red curly hair asks, "Your not going to do that every time you say hello, are you? We already have plenty of outcasts, and saying that doesn't help you." The class snickers. She sounds like one of those girls that's annoying. Trust me, eavesdropping gives you knowledge.  

"Nope." I reply to her. She scowls as if she wanted a fight.  

"Nancy," Mr. Brunner says in a warning tone. "Fauna, where would you like to sit?" he asks me.  

"On the ground would be fine." I say.  

"Hey Mr. Brunner, Mr. Nicoll was wondering. . ." His voice trails off as he sees me. Grover has a worried look on his face, but Mr. Brunner still has a calm look on.  

"Sup." I say giving him the two fingered peace sign. His face goes through a lot of emotions before settling on one. Excitement.  

"No way. Fauna?" he asks. He has a glint in his eye, and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  

"Yes, congratulations. That is my name."  

"Percy, Fauna, go out into the hall for a minute please." Mr. Brunner says. Nancy and her friends smirk at me and I return a cross-eyed look. I walk out into the hall and take a look at the boy, Percy. He has a look in his eyes that makes him look like he could go a whole year without sleep.  

"I can't believe it, your alive! Your alive!" he repeats. He tackles me in a hug that nearly suffocates me.  

"Can't. . .breath" I manage out. He lets go of me and I catch my breath.  

"Sorry," he says. "It's just that. . .I just can't believe your here! I have to go get-"  

"Wait! Jeez, stop being in such a rush and tell me your name please. Usually that's how people start." 

"Oh, sorry. My name's Percy, and our little sister is Phaedra, but everyone calls her Pha, P-H-A, not F-A-Y."  

"Cool, well, my name is Fauna Hermione Jackson. I live in an alley way in a garbage house with other fellow hobos. How I survived, now that is a mystery. Anyways, Percy, I have to go-"  

"Where? Your defiantly not going back to that garbage house. Your coming home with me and Phaedra. Do you know how long you've been gone?"  

"Yes. No. Maybe."  

"Well, just come on. We'll go get Pha together."  

"What about school? Don't you have to be here?"  

"Yup." Percy says like school is the least of his worries. I follow him to a classroom for second graders and I wait outside the door. I hear an excited squeal inside and Percy comes out with Pha. She traps me in a death hug and after a minute, she's sitting on my foot like other little kids do. They sit on the foot and let their victim drag them everywhere. Very fun for the rider. The victim, not so much.

Percy drags me out the front door after peeling Pha off my leg. I glance behind me and Grover is coming over to us. Great.

I thought my family would be less. . .crazy? Hyper? Scarily strong? The lame thing Percy has is what I actually expected, though.