5. A new beginning

Grace

The lady standing at the door had a different kind of aura that said she wasn't from here. And by not from here I meant not of Earth. She wore a simple shirt and jeans and even that gave me the chills. I exchanged a glance with Sam who was standing behind me. He had the same kind of look in his eyes.

"Who are you?" Luke asked her.

"I'm Penelope Valerius, child. I suggest you better let me in before more assassins reach your place." She said in a smooth voice.

"What assassins?" Sam asked. Luke looked ready to shut the door in her face and run away from home.

"The dozens headed this way to get you to Madronys. Without a cloaking spell you won't be able to stop them." She said calmly.

"Are you alone?" My voice finally appeared.

"For now I am." She answered.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Luke asked.

"It's time you meet some people who have been a part of your life. But I can only do that if you let me in." She looked at him.

"Forget about the people Luke. If any of those assassins are even close to what we saw at the restaurant we are dead." Sam put a hand on his shoulder.

"Okay, ground rules. No funny business. I'm letting you in my house and you better not kill us for it." Luke warned her and then stepped aside to let her in.

"First do whatever cloaking spell you're supposed to do." I told her.

She gave me a smile and then rested a palm on the wall beside her. Then she whispered three words over and over: Protect, shield, defend.

A golden glow spread over the walls of the apartment and kept spreading until the entire apartment was glowing golden. And then she removed her hand from the wall and the glow faded.

"You're safe now. Whoever passes by this building will not feel the presence of a powerful being." She smiled again.

"Take a seat please." Sam told her and Luke shut the door. Penelope sat on one of the couches.

Penelope walked to the couch and took a seat making herself comfortable. The three of us remained standing.

"Aren't you going to sit?" She pointed to the other couch.

"Not yet." Luke said tightly.

"Why don't you start talking and tell us who exactly you are and what do you want with us?" I asked her.

"For that to make sense, more people need to be here. With your permission I can bring them here and then we can start talking." She answered patiently.

"Wait a second." Luke stepped forward. "I already let you into my house. I don't plan on letting anyone else come in. Especially not if said assassins are after us."

"I can promise you that the people who you are going to meet are not assassins and I assure you that you will want to meet them after you know who they are." She said calmly.

"If so, who are these people?" Sam asked.

"You would understand better if you see them." She told him.

"Why can't you just tell us?" I asked.

"Because you wouldn't believe me." She answered.

The three of us exchanged glances. "Why not?" Luke asked.

"Because human minds are not capable of believing things without proof." She met his gaze.

"What. Proof?" Sam asked quietly.