8. My mom needs to chill

Grace

I was laying on a beach. That much was clear to me. I could feel the sand below me. When I opened my eyes there were seagulls flying in the skies. I could hear the waves wash up on the shore. By the sounds of it, this was a secluded beach.

I groaned as I sat up. Taking a look around me it was early morning and the skies were a dull grey with absolutely no one on the beach. My mother was standing a few feet away dressed in a long flowing dress and flip flops. Her brown hair was unbound and flying away from her face in the direction of the wind. She gazed out to the open sea and didn't show any signs of knowing that I'd woken up.

I took in more of my surroundings and realized the hill behind me was dotted with small white houses and buildings with patches of pink flowers growing on them. The lights had gone out so it must be nearing dawn.

"Where are we?" I asked out loud. My mother didn't look at me. Instead she answered while still looking out to the sea. "Greece."

My brows shot up. We were in Greece? It was my dream to always come to Greece. I looked back at the sea. The dark blue waters lapped up to the shore and the skies were a really dull gray. Like all the colors had been leached out of it. But the place had an allure to it. It was calming to be there just surrounded by the sea and the silence.

"How are we in Greece?" I asked as I stood up.

"Gods can transport to wherever they want with a little magic. You can too when you learn about portal magic." My mother answered.

I dusted off the sand of my jean shorts and went to stand beside her.

"But you didn't open a portal like Penelope did." I pointed out.

"Penelope is not a God. She has power restrictions that we do not." My mother said and then turned her head to look at me. "Curious little thing aren't you?"

"Why did you bring us to Greece?" I asked her.

"I know you've always wanted to come here. I'll bet you wanted to come here when the sun was up high and you could explore all those towns back there." She gestured with her head to the hill behind us.

"Well yes, but this is pretty too." I said.

"I know." She smiled and looked back at the sea.

"Why are we here though?" I asked her.

"You have questions don't you? I'll be happy to answer them." She answered.

"Tell me everything." I said.

"Richard" In case you missed it he's my dad. "Was always travelling." Alora took a seat on the sand itself. Well, my clothes were already dusted with sand so I guess it couldn't hurt anymore to sit on the sand.

"He lived in a different place before you know. We met there at one of his business meetings. I'd always admired his need to travel. When you have absolutely nothing to do in my world, you start to spend time gazing at all those humans in their own world." Alora rested her hands on her knees pulling them close.

"I always noticed him travelling around, making business deals and then coming home only to go back to some other place the next day. He always loved to get waffles whenever he had the chance though." Her face scrunched up in confusion.

"So I decided to see what the fuss was about these special treats. I visited one store in the town where he lived. For the first time in my life I tasted what waffles were. They were the best treats I'd had in my life."

"So you've never had waffles in your world?" I was surprised.

"You don't exactly have a waffle machine in a palace that isn't as advanced as your world." Alora shot me a wary look.