Chapter Fourteen - A Christmas Date Pt.1

Kopter

The cold winter air hit the back of my exposed neck as I craned around in search of Park. The sun had fully set and all of the festively-decorated lamp posts had flickered into life, casting everyone who passed beneath them in a warm, yellow glow. Christmas shoppers took up every inch of the sidewalk, bustling up and down, laden with heavy looking bags and parcels, some of which were already covered in a festive Christmas wrapping paper.

A light dusting of snow covered everything from the sidewalk floor to the treetops in a shimmering, sparkling white blanket as it reflected the glow of the many fairy-lights strewn all over the trees and lampposts lining the entrances to shops. The faint scent of warm cinnamon filled the air as across the street a bakery door flung open to reveal crowded tables filled with mugs of hot cocoa, excited chatter and laughter. I felt a pang of disappointment at not being able to spend Christmas in New York like everyone else. At least I still get to have this evening with Park.

I pulled my hand from out of the depths of my coat pocket and checked my watch. Quarter past five; Park was late. I rubbed my hands together and breathed some hot air into them before thrusting them back into my coat.

Just as I was contemplating calling him, a familiar voice called out, "Looking for someone?" I spun around to see Park grinning behind me and my heart skipped a beat. It was Park, but never as I'd seen him before. He was dressed in a long black unbuttoned duffle coat, black jeans, and a soft white sweater that was gently tucked into his waistline. His hair looked soft and his choppy bangs gently skimmed across his eyes, where, unless I was mistaken, there was a soft, thin line of black eyeliner across his upper eyelids. He practically glowed and his intense dark eyes shone in a way I'd never seen them shine before. I was mesmerised.

Park noticed my staring and self-consciously rubbed one of his eyes with the sleeve of his coat. "The eyeliner was Sunny's idea," he mumbled, still rubbing his eye. "She got carried away when I asked her for wardrobe help and gave me a full makeover."

I caught the hand that was rubbing his eye and pulled it away. "Don't," I murmured absentmindedly. "I like it." Park's face burned bright pink as he yanked his hand back and shoved it deep into his pocket.

"Where do you wanna go first?" Park muttered, shaking some of the stray strands of hair out of his eyes. I pointed over to a large store with handsome brick arches and large glass windows, where a magnificent plush reindeer stood in front of a ginormous and extravagantly decorated Christmas tree, surrounded by small gifts and little doll children. "Not Macys!" he groaned, screwing up his face in disgust. I grinned mischievously back at him. A crowded department store in the height of Christmas shopping season was Park's idea of hell, but he'd agreed to do whatever I wanted. After much grumbling and persuasion, Park crossed his arms in silent protest and we made our way up to the large entrance doors.

---

I scanned the shelves for anything that Nok might like. I picked up an 'I LOVE NYC' snow globe from a top shelf and shook it. Little white snowflakes rained down onto a miniature model of Central Park down below. I turned to Park excitedly.

Park crossed his arms. "Absolutely not," he replied firmly, taking the snow globe from my hands and placing it back on the high shelf with much difficulty. "Hasn't he been living here for over twenty years?"

I brushed back some curls from my face and moaned in frustration, "I can't find anything!"

Park pulled out a small notepad from his jacket pocket and a pen. "Explain to me what your uncle's like."