Chapter 1: Elaine

PART ONE

The white soapy foam blanketed the black wooden table. A mutton cloth swiftly moved beneath my palm wiping it off. Once again, just like every evening, I was scrabbing the tables at Tim's Tacoland. Today's work was harder because of the birthday party we hosted. To make matters worse, the birthday twins decided to have an eating contest to see who would get the bigger piece of cake.

Let's just say, spicy foods shouldn't be included in eating contests.

Grabbing the sponge from the blue bucket underneath the table, I scrabbed the vomit stains once more. The laughter of a couple just outside the window jerked my attention. I paused my exhausting cleaning for a bit and watched the lovely pair. A flicking lamppost stood above them as their laughter died down. The guy stops them both and clenches her hands in his. They stand there staring at each other like the whole world just vanished from existence and left them in their own bubble. It looked like that moment in The Sun is Also a Star.

When some minutes pass by, they both open their eyes and smiled. The guy gave the girl a kiss on her forehead and they went there separate ways.

"If only, " my heart and mind said in unison.

Reality hit me and I could feel the water in the sponge tickle my fingers again. I scrabbed the stains once more, using all the energy from the leftover burger I had an hour ago. Finally, the stains were off and I wiped out the soapy water with a triumphant smile. Scanning the entire place, I realized this was my last table. I did a little victory dance to celebrate my finish.

My little dance almost made me tip over the blue bucket. I should be more careful or else I'd be mopping again.

Just in time, I heard the sound of the staff room door open. Then came in the dirty blonde, brown-eyed guy I had once fallen for. Even with sweat dripping from his forehead and grease stains on his apron, Marcellus was still hot.

I remember when I first applied here for a job. I had just gotten out of the drug house I once called home. After all the misery I went through in that house, I decided enough was enough. I didn't want the same to happen to my sister either so we left. The cold laughter and mocking tone of my mother lingers my mind. She ridiculed at the fact of Melody and I live in the big city alone.

"You wouldn't last a day all alone, " were the last words I heard her say. She never bothered to call us or even check on us after that.

Fortunately, I managed to find a job to pay for Melody's school fees while she stayed with my aunty. We were not really blood-related but aunty Loren was like family.

Throughout the job interview, my hands kept fiddling with the strap of my bag and my body wouldn't stop fidgeting. I remember how Marcel found my nervousness hilarious and adorable. He held my hand and reminded me to breathe. I think it was that very moment that I fell for him. It was the assurance in his eyes that showed he cared and that right there, clenched my heart.

Unfortunately, for me, Marcel's heart belonged to another. Funny how the day I was going to tell him how I feel, was the day he proposed to his girlfriend.

Anyway, life goes on.

The entire time I was cleaning, Marcel was on a phone call. From the look on his face, it didn't go so well. His whole walk here, Marcel had in eyes glued to his phone in shock. The facial expression soon turned to disappointment when his eyes met mine.

"Hey Elaine, can you come over here for a second?" he asked as he walked to the other side of the restaurant.

I followed him behind. Each step moved equivalently to the sound of my beating heart. Uncertainty flows into my body and causes my hands to play with my apron. Hope I'm not getting fired.