Part Twenty Three~

He'd spent hours lying straight, eyes shut as he basked in the warmth of a companion he'd searched for but never believed in until she got off that boat and wouldn't look him in the eye. For many years his hands had sought out warmth only to shiver away from the cold space beside him, but now when he reached out, she always reached back and for that alone, he knew he'd die a hundred times over if only her hand would rest in his for eternity. "I told myself that love was never on the agenda" twisting onto his side, he rested his cheek into his palm and looked down at the woman who knew far too well how to take his breath away.

At his words, Mishti flinched. God, she knew not to fear him, but somewhere deep within she feared a life without him, that their night together meant more to her than it would to him, that Saul was right and she really was that unlovable, that she wasn't worth the kind man who'd taught her how to make a house a home. Crawling her fingers up his bare chest, her lips pursed sidewards "And is that still the case?" Her voice was minuscule, so small in such a large room and barely anything if no one decided to listen to the scream behind the whisper.

Moving a strand of hair from her lips, Abir pressed his lips to her forehead. "All I wanted was a friend" running his thumb along her jaw, he watched her eyes shut the second she snuggled into his palm. "But you taught me they can be one and the same, you are my best friend, but you're also the love of my life".

Her eyes shot open only to fill with unshed tears. Each and every time he'd said that she'd only ever offered him pin-drop silence in return, but not anymore, not now she knew how she really felt. "I thought I knew love with Saul" gulping away the ache his name brought, she continued, "But I didn't until I met you". She thought back to the very first time they were in bed together, miles apart but his story of pain yanked them together and now close didn't seem anywhere near close enough when they were by each other's side.

Pulling her up so they were sat straight, his eyes widened "Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

Nodding shyly, a giggle escaped her at his excitement. "Yes," she affirmed.

"Say it" he leant closer, "I need to hear you say it". He'd never had to rely on anything before, neither had he had to rely on anyone, yet here she was changing everything he once knew and goddammit he'd fall to his knees before her feet if it meant she'd say those three words that could glue him back together again. "Please" his voice cracked.

Looking up slowly, she smiled "I love you, Abir" the revelation sent her crashing into his arms as he'd once crashed into her heart. The symbolism alone made her shudder toward his warmth. Allowing him to pull her into his arms, she cupped his face, head tipped up so her eyes met his "Is that okay?"

"More than okay" his eyes shut as he rocked her. He'd waited so long for those words to reach his ears, warned himself not to get his hopes up too high, but he had, of course, he had. Could anyone blame him when Mishti was the one he loved? "I want to show you how it always should've been, Mishti, I want to show you how it will always be with me".

"Then show me" she muttered into his chest, because she knew only he could.

And show her did. His lips tattooed on her skin in a mark that would never taint her innocence with ownership but remind her instead of what good love was, of what good love could be. His fingers wound around her wrist in protection from the shadows he'd never allow to take her back to the darkness she knew, for he was never her prison, she had made him home.

+++

"Hello" Mishti smiled innocently, fingers waggling at him. Wet waves of hair hung atop his shirt she wore, her cheeks were flushed red and there was a little jump in her step as she padded softly toward him. Wrapping her tiny hands around his muscular arm, her cheek found solace on his shoulder and a calm sigh escaped her lips.