Chapter 1

I'll survive my time here and make it back to the present! Accepting my three month stay in the Sengoku period in the employ of the warlord, Nobunaga Oda, I bowed to him and his men.

Mai: "I won't let you down." But Nobunaga caught my chin and lifted it back toward him.

Nobunaga: "I plan to take very good care of you, Mai." I guess appropriate isn't in is vocabulary. And, wow, his eyes. They were ruthless and frightening. I'd never seen someone who could smile with such ferocity. There was no pleasure, no joy, in that smile.

Mai: "For the last time, don't just grab me!" The carnivorous smile vanished as I swatted his hand away. The entire room went silent. It was then I realized what I had done. I hope I didn't just cut my lifespan short!

Hideyoshi: "You! How dare you be so rude to--"

Nobunaga: "Enough, Hideyoshi." I guess I'm spared. Leaning back, Nobunaga began to laugh, his voice deep. What does he find so funny? Is it me? Because that's upsetting. I got up just to get away, sitting as far away from him as I could.

Ieyasu: "You're not interested in that waif? A stiff breeze would knock her over."

Masamune: "I'm not so sure about that, lad. She just gave Nobunaga a good shove. She's a tough one."

Mitsuhide: "Or it was the reflexive jerk of a frightened animal." Hello? I'm right here? Am I invisible to this gaggle of gossiping warlords? Or is that a murder of warlords?

Mitsunari: "Mai, it's all right. That's just the way they talk. It means nothing."

Mai: "You're probably right." Mitsunari is the only decent human being here.

Hideyoshi: "Mai, next time you dare raise a hand against Lord Nobunaga-- I will cut you down where you stand."

Mai: "Excuse me?" Hideyoshi, sitting in the spot closest to Nobunaga, looked at me with burning anger in his eyes. "What, you're going to kill me for that? Didn't you see the way he just grabbed me?"

Nobunaga: "I said enough." Nobunaga's command shot through the room. I stiffened, hearing it. But Hideyoshi looked positively abashed.

Hideyoshi: "My apologies, my lord." Hideyoshi bowed grimly, and I found myself doing the same.

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi, show this woman around the castle."

Hideyoshi: "My lord?"

Mai: "You want him to do it?"

Nobunaga: "I have decided that Mai will be staying with us. It is time you accept that, Hideyoshi."

Hideyoshi: "I understand." Though his face made it obvious he had more colorful words in mind. "Come along, Mai. I'll show you the ropes."

Mai: "As long as it's not the gallows." Why did it have to be him? Hideyoshi walked out of the audience chamber and I followed after him.

Hideyoshi: "I still don't trust you. And if you try anything with Lord Nobunaga, it will be the last thing you do."

Mai: "He's the one trying things!"

Hideyoshi: "What was that?"

Mai: "I mean, yes, you're right."

I could already tell life here was going to be frustrating. Hideyoshi's attitude is grating, but I can't fault his loyalty. When I thought about it, it made perfect sense that he was wary of me. A stranger shows up out of nowhere only to get close to your lord. In the Sengoku period, you'd be crazy not to get suspicious. I had three months here. I wouldn't last if I kept butting heads with everyone.