Dramatic Route Chapter 11

It's windy today. The Oda forces stopped their march a short distance away from the Uesugi garrison castle. They were setting up camp to launch their attack against the unified Uesugi-Shingen forces.

Nobunaga: "I'll be commanding from the field of battle. Mai, you and Mitsunari will be in charge here."

Mai: "I understand." I dismounted Cheruit and an attendant led her away. But I didn't follow him. I was reluctant to leave Nobunaga. "I'll be waiting for your return."

Nobunaga: "All right. I warn you, it could be some time."

Under the guidance of the warlords, the troops were lining up in formation. The rear guard was putting up tents. Everyone looked as if they were bracing for a storm. There's a lot of work to be done, but I'm going to be worried about Nobunaga all day, I know. I moved slowly toward camp, but the reassuring sound of Nobunaga's voice drew me back.

Nobunaga: "Do not worry, Mai. I won't die before my ambition is complete."

Mai: "I know you won't." You have to stay alive long after that, too! "But I'm worried about more than just you dying." I clasped Nobunaga's hand in both of mine. He looked at me with an expression of quiet puzzlement. "I want you to be well. But I can't see you, so I'll be left wondering. Are you tired? Are you hurt? Are you hungry? Are you cold? You take up a lot of my thoughts, you know!"

Nobunaga: "Mai--"

Mai: "...And I'm worried about you having to kill people. That, I don't want. I worry about that the most." And not for some fancy moral reason, either. Nobunaga's heart freezes when he kills. I'm worried if he keeps fighting, he'll never completely thaw.

Nobunaga: "Don't look so sad. It's harder for me to leave you." If only I could keep you here, too. With his free hand, Nobunaga brushed the soft backs of his fingers against my cheek. "It's mysterious. Your mood affects my own in ways I never imagined."

Mai: "It's not that mysterious. I get it too."

Nobunaga: "Then help me. What would make you smile right now?" It was such an innocent question, but he asked it so seriously.

Mai: "How about you promise me something?"

Nobunaga: "All right. Tell me what it is and I'll agree."

Mai: "I want you to stop fighting and take a break."

Nobunaga: "What?"

Mai: "Not today! I know you have a big battle ahead of you. But someday soon." I tightened my hands around his calloused ones. "No wars, no conquest! Just time to relax and enjoy each other's company. We'll have, I don't know, tea, and talk about fun things! I planned out a line of friends for Bearsace! I'll tell you about them! And you can tell me about the things you like!"

Having a drink and hanging out was something completely normal for most couples. It shouldn't be a fancy promise. But for Nobunaga and I, those everyday activities were so far away.

Nobunaga: "And this will make you smile?"

Mai: "It will."

Nobunaga: "Very well. I promise you: when the battle is over, you and I will have tea and talk about fun things. And the whole time I am with you, I will think only about you." Nobunaga--

Mai: "That's sweet. But you have to remember to keep that promise! Remember!"

Nobunaga: "I always keep my promises. Now it's you turn. Smile for me. Quickly now." The impatience in his voice was both amusing and a little sadly sweet. Okay. He's just too lovable. I didn't even need to try. Thinking of him, I was smiling naturally before I knew it.