Chapter 9

Mai: "It's a secret."

Nobunaga: "A secret?" I wasn't sure he was ready to hear the real reason I was staying up with him.

Mai: "And I'm going to stay." Spending time with the person I love is a pretty big benefit for me. I gave him another smile, urging the conversation back his way, but Nobunaga didn't speak. His expression tightened. He grabbed my wrist, gently lowering me back into the grass before falling there with me. "Nobunaga?" That tormented expression was so near.

Nobunaga: "Just what are you?" I'm the woman who loves you? "What is this secret? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Mai: "It's nothing you should be afraid of."

Nobunaga: "Every single thing you do makes me--" We were so close, the heat of our bodies entwined, tangled as our limbs.

Mai: "Makes you what? Tell me." I looked up at Nobunaga, needing to hear this. He seemed torn, unable to speak. Nobunaga gave an exasperated sigh.

Nobunaga: "You're a woman. Shouldn't you know? I could have you right now." Actually, if you were to ask nicely, yes. This grass isn't that bad. "Where are your spirited words? What happened to snapping at me for trying to take a single drink from your lips?"

Mai: "That was the second night we'd met! I didn't know you then. I just thought you were a brute."

Nobunaga: "And you're saying I'm different now?"

Mai: "I see you differently. I've come to know you."

Nobunaga: "Did you get what you wanted?"

Mai: "I didn't get what I expected." I never expected to fall so badly in love with you.

My feelings rising in my chest, I stared into Nobunaga's eyes. His cheeks were ruddy, either from the fire or emotion. Our bodies were pressed together in the soft night grass, we looked into each other's eyes. I could smell the grass, feel the heat of the fire warming me. But Nobunaga filled my senses the most.

Mai: "Your turn. Why do you look at me that way?" He remained silent. I went on, hoping to draw an answer out. "You used to laugh and tease me. Nothing I said ever bothered you." I want to know. Do you feel what I feel? My heartbeat quickened with hope. But--

Nobunaga looked away. He untangled himself from me, raised to one knee, and got up slowly. Don't go. Talk to me.

Nobunaga: "I don't know what you're talking about."

Mai: "Forget it then." I sat up too, and fixed my kimono. Maybe I'm wrong. But why else would he be acting this way? I faced the fire and hugged my knees, missing his warmth already.

Nobunaga: "When will you be going back to your time?"

Mai: "Why are you asking that now?"

Nobunaga: "You told me before, that you'd be going back when circumstances were right."

It's been a while since we talked about it.

*-*-*

Mai: "Yes, I will. Another wormhole is going to open in three months. I'm not certain, but I think it's going to be in Kyoto, where I arrived."

Nobunaga: "If you wish to leave here and go to Kyoto in three months, you must make a bet with me. If you can beat me in just one game, I will see to it personally you get to Kyoto in time for your wormhole."