Dramatic Route Chapter 12

Mai: "Kenshin and the others are really important to you, aren't they? But I'm glad. I'm sure they feel the same about you."

Sasuke: "I hope so." Sasuke's a dear friend, and I'm glad to hear he's staying. Even if we can only see each other now and then.

Mai: "Thank you for coming to tell me."

Sasuke: "Actually, that's not the emergency I was talking about. Both of us have bigger problems." Sasuke frowned. "As much as we both want to stay, I believe we'll be forcibly sent back to the present."

Mai: "...What?" I was shocked. Shocked and angry. "How can we be FORCIBLY sent back?! I'm not going to Kyoto. You're not going to Kyoto!"

Sasuke: "I'll explain everything. I need you to listen calmly. Kyoto was where I estimated the wormhole would manifest when I calculated its location three months ago."

Mai: "I remember. You mentioned it when we met in Azuchi."

*-*-*

Sasuke: "If you miss this next wormhole, you might never be able to go back to the present. By my calculations, the wormhole will appear near Honno-ji. In three months, no matter what stands in our way, we have to get to Kyoto."

*-*-*

Three months felt like forever back then. Now I can't imagine leaving. I need to stay. But I've just been told I can't? I fought my panic and waited for Sasuke to continue.

Sasuke: "During the battle, I'd been observing this abnormal weather and comparing it to my data on the wormhole. Because you see, there's been something unusual about the wormhole too."

Mai: "Go on."

Sasuke: "Each time I run my calculations, the location I estimated it would manifest at has shifted."

Mai: "So it's moved? By how much?"

Sasuke: "At first it was a statistically negligible distance, but that distance has been increasing rapidly with time. Early on, the point was moving toward Azuchi."

Mai: "Wait. Was this during the time you were in Azuchi too?"

Sasuke: "Correct. Its movement corresponded with the time you and I were both residing there. After that, the Oda forces began to march toward the Uesugi garrison castle. During that time, I was nearby, following their movements. And as I calculated the manifestation point again, it was nearing the castle."

Mai: "Don't tell me--"

Sasuke: "Every time we move, the wormhole moves too. As if it's following us." I had a sudden, creeping sense of dread. A chill ran down my spine. I hugged myself, but the cold feeling persisted. "I ran the calculations again yesterday. The wormhole will manifest tonight in these plains where the battle took place."

Mai: "It's appearing here?! TONIGHT?!" I spun around, imagining the wormhole like some kind of impossible creature, lurking in the woods, watching us. "But why is this happening?"

Sasuke: "I have a theory. It's not a very scientific one, but 'If you eliminate the impossible,' etc." Sasuke stopped, seemingly hesitant to continue.

Mai: "I won't report you to the science advisory board. Just tell me your theory."

Sasuke: "In the beginning, I told you we were in a divergent timeline, one that would account for the changes to history. Particularly, the fact that you and I saved Kenshin and Nobunaga from their historical deaths."