QUATORZE

The party was in full swing, people in grande dresses and tuxes milling around chatting and drinking champagne. Benjamin was charming a group of Mystic Fall locals when he notices Kol making his way over to Mayor Lockwood and Damon Salvatore. He prays Kol won't do something stupid tonight.

"We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson." He hears him greet Carol across the room, and Kol kisses her hand. "We hope your lovely town embraces us as much as we plan to embrace it."

"Damon Salvatore," the raven-haired vampire holds out his hand. "Have we met?"

"I've met a lot of people," he says to Carol, "And you don't particularly stand out," Kol smirks and walks away.

Benji excuses him from the conversation he was in and, when Kol walked past him, links his arm with his, walking beside him.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," he sings. The slightly taller vampire quirks an eyebrow at his behaviour.

"We hate him," Benji explains, and Kol hums in agreement.

"Understandable."

Benji let's go of Kol's arm and turns back towards the door, where Elena has entered. She's wearing a gorgeous black and gold ballgown, with Stefan by her side. Damon walks over to the two.

"You're not supposed to be here." the oldest Salvatore accuses. Benji's suspicion grows only to be confirmed by what Elena said next.

"Well, I am. And I'm not leaving until I find out what Esther wants." Benji was right. Esther was planning something. And if it had something to do with a doppelganger, it couldn't be innocent.

He watches as the trio link their arms and walk away from the entrance into another room. A minute later, he takes a flute of nonalcoholic champagne from one of the waiters and follows them. He sees them engrossed in a conversation that Damon didn't seem all that happy about. And as he suspected, all of them already had a glass in their hands.

"Elena, sweety, you look marvellous." He greets her as he approaches the group.

"Benjamin," the brown-haired girl greets back, and they trade air kisses.

"I'm so glad you could make it tonight. And even if you weren't invited, I hope you both have a good time." He sends a look to both of the Salvatore brothers, but his voice holds no malice.

"Here," he plucks the glass from Elena's hand and replaces it with his own. Elena's eyes widen in surprise. "We may be gracious hosts, but rules are still rules. Nonalcoholic beverages only. This party is crawling with cops, politicians, and teachers. We're trying to make a good impression. Letting teenagers drink isn't the look we are going for." He jokes lightly.

"I trust you're not here to cause any trouble, right?" He inquires about the trio.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Damon says innocently.

"Well, good because if you did, we would have a problem." Benji gives them all a pointed look. "I hope you all have a lovely time. Dance, drink, but not you," he sends Elena and an extravagant wink, "check out the buffet. Speaking of which, I have to check on the baby quiches. Excuse me." Benji gives them a dashing smile and walks off.

🔷🔹————————🔹🔷

Benjamin makes his way over to Elijah and grabs his hand.

"Esther has requested to see Elena tonight." Elijah looks at Benjamin as Benji's voice continues in his mind. "Not only that, but the Savatores are not happy about it. So we need to keep an eye on all three of them."