chapter nine; rum and musket shots

The night had begun. wooyoung, without any hesitation pulled out many barrels of rum as soon as the sun went down. all the boys gathered together on the main deck and began drinking, each with their own giant glass.

"are you going to join?" Hongjoong stood next to you and smiled.

"i think I'll just watch." You answered. The boys had only just started but the ship was utter chaos, Jongho and Wooyoung where standing up on a table and singing their hearts out, Mingi and Yunho were arguing in a crazy heat about if tea was better than coffee, Seonghwa and yeosang were in a meaningful discussion concerning if birds could identify different star constellations and San was, well, San was sitting on a chair, by himself looking all gloomy. You decided to test your luck and sat next to him, instead of greeting you, he closed his eyes and didn't open them.

"San, are you being serious." you told him, clearly annoyed at his actions. 

"leave me alone Y/N." he answered 

"San, I haven't done anything, why are you being so cold toward me?" you asked. you were met by silence from the boys and no answer. He was making you upset so you decided to take a walk to clear your head. You walked to the front of the ship and sat down on the floor, looking out at the view. The cool night air graced your face and they salt spray washed against your nose. Why did San act like that toward you? What's the big deal, he's a pirate, its kind of obvious that he's going to kill people, so why does he want to hide it. Footsteps sounded and you turned to see Hongjoong walking toward you. He sat down beside you and took in the view, he was calm and collected. The moonlight shone and graced his features, leaving a shadow upon the other half of his face, he was angelic.

"hi captain." you said glumly

"don't take it personally." he stated, clearly gesturing to San's actions. "he gets like this when he needs to do an execution.." Hongjoong frowned "we all have our demons Y/N, and this is one of his." Hongjoong explained

"then why doesn't someone else do it?" you asked Hongjoong. 

"He wont let anyone else do it." He sighed

"Why?" you pushed.

"that's something that I can't tell you." his voice saddened.

"why not Hongjoong. I'm part of this crew now, you cant keep these kinds of secrets from me." you said

"I can't tell you because not even I know the reason, I've asked him so many times, but he refuses to open up." Hongjoong looked you in the eye. "just leave him be for now, he'll be better in a few days." He reassured. You looked at your captain, the light shone on the tip of his nose, and his eyes crinkled as he smiled.

"okay." you said in contentment

"he'll be back to the loving San soon." He smiled. The two of you decided to walk back toward the boys, Mingi and Yunho still arguing, Jongho and Wooyoung still singing, Yeosang and Seonghwa now running around the ship acting like birds, but San was gone, he must have left. You walked towards drunk Yunho who looked as though he was about to throw a toddler's temper tantrum.

"Y/NNNN." he whined. "Mingi is saying that tea is inferior to coffee. but that's not trueee." he cried

"Yunho baby, I think coffee and tea are equals." you say, he looked at you with a shocked expression.

"how dare you." he sounded offended. he strutted away with Mingi and they began to yell again.

"Y/N!" you heard a voice behind you. "you look absolutely stunning tonight my love!" yelled Wooyoung. He ran down from the table he was standing on and gave you a giant hug.