Burned Footsteps

Christopher Constantinou

Alastair was one of the two who was in charge of keeping an eye around Europe. He still had to get back to me on his findings. So far, we had nothing.

I slammed the glass table and watch as it shatters into pieces, but my knuckles were perfectly fine. Decades passed but she was nowhere to be found. Where was this mate of mine hiding?

Right after she left the second time, I was in charge of finding her and keeping her safe. I have stopped all my other responsibilities as my main priority was her. My heart and my brain didn't allow me to concentrate on anything else.

I have now travelled almost everywhere. Just a news of her sighting, I would jump on a flight and be there. But only to be disappointed. It was like, she burned her footsteps as she walked the land. Not even a trace of her was anywhere to be found. Not a glimpse. Not a sniff. She had disappeared.

My fists tighten as I breathe deeply, trying to calm the raging beast inside of me. But it was no use. I needed to breathe her in. I needed to hold her. I needed her like an animal thirsty for blood.

The phone on my pocket rang. I closed my eyes as I tried to calm myself. Eventually I slide the screen and waited for the person on the other side to speak. "Christopher, it's me Alastair. Sorry, it somehow slipped my mind. I know it was important but I kind of forgot-"

"You forgot?" I growled into the phone.

There was a pause before he started speaking again. "Something weird happened the other night." He pauses again. "It was like the- the time skipped. I was there at the club. I knew it was half twelve when I checked the time. T-then...I swear it was like a minute or even second but-but when I checked it again, it-it was already quarter past one. I thought my watch was not working but the time had indeed forwarded itself."

I closed my eyes as I pinched my thumb and forefinger on the skin in between my brows, clearly annoyed by his lack of attention towards the situation. He didn't understand how serious it was to find her.

I don't want her to be kidnapped like before. Not when I was not around to protect her. Or Raven. Or anyone else. I heard from them what happened in the past and it worried me even more. I prayed to the goddess that she was safe before I opened my eyes again.

"Alastair." I breath out his name, trying to calm down. "How can you even think that the time forward itself?" I ask still annoyed.

"I-I can't remember what happened or what I did during those time. That's all I know." He too breaths out feeling somehow exhausted. And I let out another sigh, feeling defeated. How can not even a single group of elite Lycan's find this mate of mine? How can he not remember-?

I felt my eyes widen as a thought crossed my mind. "I'll catch the next flight. I'll there in couple of hours." I ended the call and shoved the phone in my pocket. I headed to my room and grabbed my bag that I had already packed in case of emergencies like now. I got out of the palace and jumped on the car as I drove out on the empty road.

I pressed the button for the airport once again. I didn't let them speak when they picked up. "This is Christopher. Get me a flight ready for Greece. Now." I was not asking.

"Right away, sir." They mumbled a quick reply before hanging the call.

My fingers tightened around the steering wheel as I skipped past the road. Finally, I got you. No wonder I couldn't find you so easily. So, you are with her huh?

I wonder why it never crossed my mind before. Of course, she was with her. The only person that I could never find. But seems like I got my hands on her too. The King and the Queen had asked me to look out for her, but I had been unsuccessful on locating her.