911 | Chapter IX

A/N : This chapter includes violence and medical terms if you don't feel comfortable reading it or don't understand something I can make a summary or explain the medical terms. 

I hope you like it...

Nini's POV

I went running towards Ricky that didn't feel any pain but was bleeding a lot. She asked Josh to go look for supplies in the Infirmary with Jen. I wanted to be alone with Ricky to ask him what had happened. I thought that he would try to resist so I tried to be as gentle as I could.

-Ricky, are you okay? What happened?- he looked at me with his eyes filled with tears that made them shine like stars.

-Uh...er...mmmm- he started panicking, he couldn't talk either from the shock or from the beat up. I started getting nervous because he wanted so bad to tell me. I tried giving him a pen and a pencil it seemed like he didn't know how to write.

Josh and Jen came back from the infirmary with alcohol and gauses to clean up his injuries but I told them that we had to go to the hospital to get him checked out. Josh gave us a ride Jen was the responsible adult so she was the one that was there when the doctor saw him in the er and Josh and I had to wait in the waiting room. While we were waiting, one of Ricky's doctor came towards me and said:

-Hi Miss, do you know if we should call his parents?- he said with such a tender voice as if trying to calm us down, he was probably really used to situations like this one.

-Umm, his father, he doesn't speak with his mom and she is out of town.

-Thank you- he was starting to leave and I couldn't help it and asked

-Can I see him? I just need to see that he is okay

-Yes you may, I'll give you some minutes until we take him for a head ct.

He guided me towards his bed. He was numbed because of the anaesthesia he had been given for the pain. I tried to speak with him but he still couldn't so I just talked to him to hear and not answer. I wanted to calm him down but I didn't know how.

-Rick, don't worry it's gonna be okay, I promise- I held his hand- I love you so much please promise me you'll fight- he squeezed my hand I suppose it was him saying "I love you" back. I didn't know what else to say so I kissed his forehead and waited holding his hand until he was taken to ct.

A nurse came and took him, meanwhile the doctor who I had talked to previously told Jen and I what they thought he had.

-We believe he has an internal bleed in his left/dominant hemisphere of his brain. We need to be sure so for that's the ct.

I did some extra credits from medicine so I knew what he meant, probably he would need surgery before any permanent deficit was caused. The doctor didn't want to talk about surgery so he just said his diagnosis, when he left Jen asked me what it meant. She had no idea and that made her panick. Probably the surgery would last about an hour and a half and of course he would need to stay in the hospital later. A few minutes had passed since we spoke to the doctor when Ricky's father came running through the er door all sweaty and worried. I explained to him what the doctor said but didn't include the surgery because I could be wrong. I gave Jen a sign so that she wouldn't talk about the surgery. I tried to calm him down but it wasn't very successful. Luckily the doctor came back and confirmed his diagnosis and started talking about the surgery, which I had predicted. Mike was really worried about the surgery but he didn't second guess the doctor because he was the one with a medical degree.

Ricky's POV

A few hours earlier...

I went to buy some lunch before going to help Josh and Nini. I bought a salad and a sparkling water. I was going to the school when someone grabbed me by my backpack and dragged me to a dark alley. Three men had dragged me and they smelled really bad, they had a really strong smell to ciggars and alcohol. They started hitting me, I told them to take my backpack and everything but they started talking but slurring all the words because they were very drunk and probably high as well "weeeon'twantha" (we don't want that) "weweresen" (we were sent). I started freaking put a lot because there was nothing I could do, they were more and it seemed that they just wanted to hurt me, but the weird thing was that they just hit my face and not other parts of my body. I started feeling a lot of pain and started losing consciousness.

The next thing I remember is waking up aching a lot and realizing that I had to go see Nini, I didn't even realize I was hurt. My whole face was numbed, I saw blood on my fists but only that and my backpack had everything. When Nini asked me what had happened I started to remember. I wanted to tell her but when I spoke nothing came out only incoherent sounds. I started to get scared why couldn't I talk, I knew how to talk I knew the words they just didn't come out, then she gave me something to write but I couldn't feel my hand and I didn't know how to write. Then she took me to the hospital and in whole ride I heard loud sounds in my head and started feeling worse and worse, I started feeling the pain and needed to shout. When we got to the er I felt safer and could shout, it hurt so much, my face was a filled with pain. Luckily they gave me some painkillers.

The doctors checked me out and then Nini came, I needed to see her, she started talking to me and I wanted to answer so badly. I love her so much and I needed toshow her but I could barely move, I barely was able to control my body. I felt like my brain just stopped working. When she held my hand all I could do was squeeze it. Then they took me to a place to make some scans. I started feeling dizzy and passed out in the table.

Dr. Taylor's POV (The attending on Ricky's case)

While taking the ct Ricky passed out. I called the nurses and told them to bump someone in the or schedule. We had to get in as soon as possible, I also told them to page the neurosurgeon on call because although I am a neurosurgeon I would need help because I would probably find something else to be fixed. Then I went to update the family, I didn't want to scare them so I didn't tell them that he passed out. Then I went to the or, once I scrubbed in the surgery began, but before cutting I said "It's a beautiful day to save lives" I grew up watching Grey's Anatomy and since I became a neurosurgeon I just always feel the need to say Dereks iconic line. When I started I was able to control the bleed but as I checked for other injuries I found a small clot that was stopping the blood flow to the brain so if he didn't die from the internal hemorrage he would've lost the blood supply to the brain and died. Luckily we were able to prevent it and had a successful surgery, with no complications, taking out the risks that always exist because we were working on the brain.

Nini's POV

Two hours passed and tricky was still in surgery, I couldn't stop thinking what if there was a complication. I watched a lot of medical series and was really into medicine and many time complications appear on a simple surgery. Luckily a nurse came to update us. He was out of surgery but still wasn't awake. She also said that there was a complication, I didn't feel really scared of that because I had already tormented me with all the possible complications and the one she described was more of an unpleasant surprise. They had found a clot but they were able to fix it. Now we had to wait and see if he woke up, many patients never wake up of brain surgery and are either declared brain dead or live as vegetables for the rest of their lives.

A/N: What do you think will happen to Ricky? Will he wake up? Did the surgery damage more his brain? Lmk in the comments, stay safe🤍