~CHAPTER SIX: Pt TWO

Chapter song: Graveyard by Halsey (From my Hidden secrets playlist)

P.S I was stuck on choosing between Control and Graveyard...Lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My heart throbs, heavily, hard against my ribcage, like it would erupt from my body. I raise my hand and place on my chest, trying to calm down my heartbeat.

My nerves and instincts are on overdrive, tugging me to go into my parents room. My aura of approval still surfaces, swallowing the whole silence, haunting my presence.

I quickly but carefully glance around the whole hallway in case someone was lurking there, watching me. Then If there was, I would close the door and casually walk away as If nothing happened. To my favour, there was no one, I exhale loudly in relief.

My waxing eagerness and anticipation to enter the room becomes evanescent as hesitation begins to dilute my initial thoughts of entering.

What if you see something you don't like? What you do not know cannot hurt you, right? No - But what if this will answer your questions? What If this is your only chance to even have the slightest clue of what they are hiding? Another thought opposes.

After brain racking for minutes, I follow the opposing thought.

I walk slowly, rigidly, into the room and close the door behind me. Taking more steps inward, I survey the room. My parents room is richly furnished, the smell of my mother's lavender, my father's cologne and the sandalwood scent lingers in the air.

The room was fairly big and spacious, like a suite, with walls of clean pure white, which contrasted the black color of the curtains. The entire decor was a beautiful black and white collaboration design.
The floor, white, the rug which was laid at the foot of the bed, had black and white large checkered design.

Not much need to say, It was appealing, ravishing, imposing, beautiful.

The head board was quite big, black and white striped designs etched on it too. Two medium sized white lamps sat on black tables which were flanked beside the bed.

A white ottoman was before the white vanity table, which had generous supply of different perfumes, body sprays, scents and other accessories cascaded onto it. The large closet was white with large black handles. The room was exquisitely beautiful, stunning.

There are picture frames hung on the wall. Pictures of my mother and father, and some yet surprising, of me. My baby pictures, some of me as a toddler, some older, at my sixteenth birthday, Christmas with Trey and Mandy.

One of the pictures was a copy of the one in the living room - the one with all the three of us in it. Which I saw the other day. I walk closer to the picture. It strangely feels different, like I haven't seen it before, like I am seeing it for the first time, yet I have seen it so many times than I can even count.

"That's surprising! You look nothing like them though!" Peter's words reverberates within the walls in my head.

My breath quickens hoarsely. Curiosity and  uneasiness makes the hair on my skin tingle, standing on edge.

My heart pounds - I finally see it, the contrasting features, It is very obvious, enough to spark questions. Apart from eye, hair and skin color. An iota of any sort of facial resemblance was absent, which was indeed very weird.

Maybe I'm hallucinating, or just seeing things.

I rub my eyes and look at the picture again, but nothing changes, nothing. I'm not seeing things, the contrasting features still shriek at me, I flinch, backing away as though, they slap me in the face, mocking me.

The faces in the picture seem to stare right at me, intensely, as if they are piercing into my soul. Like they are looking at me. I view from other perspectives but I get the same result.

It feels real, l cannot explain why. Its gaze is powerful, like I am not just staring at a real picture but real people. I tear my eyes away and shake my head.

I must be crazy, So I think.

This is unbelievable! How is a child not have a single resemblance to either of his parents? Is it possible? Maybe, some kind of genetic variation occurred in my body, that made me so different from them? It can be possible, right? Mutations do occur, right?

Maybe I mutated and became different from my parents?
The thoughts and reasons rattle in my head.

I want to believe that as much.

My eyes finally land on the object that had caught my curious eyes and made me enter a forbidden territory.

The big cabinet by the window.

A lower drawer was ajar, some papers were knocked out and were strewn on the floor close to it. As I walk to the cabinet, a disconcerting tension begins to settle in the air, like electricity cackling and sizzling.

The closer I move I get to the cabinet, the higher the tension increases.

My heart drums harder, like it is about to jump out of my chest.

I stop and kneel in front of the cabinet, dropping my palms on my thighs as I scan the strewn papers on the floor.

The papers, disarrayed, seemed like the drawer cabinet was knocked over, I wonder if someone deliberately did it. The cabinet is bent in an awkward position, left, like someone had used their right foot to kick it.

I pick some of the papers and raise them up, against the light. Running my eyes curiously over them, I look for any details to satiate my growing curiosity. Some include my father's business documents, passports, some licenses, court files, some dealership stuff. And nothing else, I pack the papers in my hand and make to place them back in the drawer.

But I stop short when catch a glimpse of a large blue file inside the drawer. I drop the other papers on the floor and bring out the blue file.

It is quite big and thick, with an aquamarine shade of blue. The texture, against my fingertips, is smooth.

Medical records, Its heading reads. Something triggers me to open it. I tentatively open it.

The records are for three people. My father, My mother and lastly, me.

..............................................................................................................................................DUN DUN DUN!!!

(My pathetic attempt at a cliffhanger! ;)

END OF CHAPTER! How did it go? Hope you loved it. Thank for reading, voting and sticking with me! It means a lot. My reads just past a hundred! YAAAAY!!! I'm so incredibly happy.

P.S I feel bad that people are reading my story and I don't know how they feel about it. It's like I'm texting someone and they never reply me! It hurts😭😭😭

PLEASE, Feel free to share your thoughts with me! And your suggestions tooo! I don't bite!

(Lmao! This reminds by of the song, "Talk" by Khalid)

S

o... BUH-BYEEEE!!!

S

ee you next weekend! Till my next update

Love you guys so much!

Y

our friendly neighbourhood writer

Ella💕