03

Once the weekend passed, it was time for the bionic teens' official first day of school.

"Okay, guys," Davenport starts. "You have been trained for all kinds of missions. But you are about to enter a soul-bruising, confidence-crushing apocalyptical environment: High School."

The four teens look at him confused as Harley says, "I mean, he isn't completely wrong."

"Adam, Bree, your glitch test results are fairly stable."

"Yes! I'm going to school!" Bree cheers.

"I'm fairly stable," Adam says.

"But, Chase, I am still concerned about your commando app," Davenport explains.

"Commando app?" Leo asked. "Put on some underpants. We're going to school."

Harley laughs and Chase nudges her.

"No, see, in the face of an imminent threat," Davenport walked behind Chase to place his hands on his shoulders. "Chase's commando app kicks in and he becomes a fearless brute I like to call Spike."

Leo smile.

"It's kinda like a fight-or-flight thing, except I took out the flight part because it's useless and I replaced it with a testosterone level of like a Tasmanian devil-wolverine-shark-lion hybrid that's mad," Davenport says as Leo's smile increases.

"Don't worry, Mr. Davenport," Chase assures. "I promise that Spike won't rear his ugly head."

"Oh, yeah?" Davenport questions. "You mean like last Christmas when I made the mistake of giving Adam boxing gloves?"

"Ugh. I'm still coughing up tinsel." Adam shivers.

"You know, letting Chase go to school, isn't such a good idea. I can't risk Spike coming out."

"Oh, come on, Big D," Leo whines.

"Davenport, you know I wouldn't let anything bad like that happen," Harley promised.

"Chase has to come. With these guys and Harley, I'll finally get a prime spot in the cafeteria." Leo says.

"Don't worry," Adam assures, "We'll make sure he stays out of trouble, right guys?"

"Yeah," Bree agrees. "It's one for all and all for one. Unless of course, you guys make me look bad, in which guys, I am dropping you lame-os and joining Harley and the popular group."

Harley and Bree high-fived each other.

"Mr. Davenport, I can't miss school. This is the beginning of my academic achievements and career trajectory. I mean, the road to astronaut lawyer has to start somewhere." Chase explains.

Davenport sighs. "Okay. But I better not get a call from the art teacher saying that Spike ripped out her larynx. And you better keep your promise." He points a finger at Harley.

She smiled and gave a thumbs-up. "Also, the art teacher wouldn't be able to say anything, considering Spike would've ripped out her-- you know what I mean."

"The point is just to keep him out of trouble."

"Hey, look what I found." Adam has a pair of boxing gloves and he starts messing around until he ends up hitting Chase's abdomen.

Chase fell to the ground in pain as Adam hid in fear behind Harley.

"Look, I'm sorry, but if he's that close to the gloves, it's gonna happen," Adam explains.

As Leo and Bree laugh, Harley walks over to Chase and helps him up by grabbing his hand and wrapping his arm around her shoulder.

***