No Stranger To Unfairness

-No Stranger To Unfairness-

Out of all the ways I could've spent time after dropping George off at Lia's place, coding was definitely not one of the things I should've chosen. My intentions were great, along the lines of productivity and getting work done.

However, the heavily Lia-reliant plan that was taking place at the same time put a slight hindrance upon my ability to program even the simplest of statements. I was hardcore stressing about whether or not Lia would comply and go along with the plan, praying that the threats to her vanity and beauty would keep her in line. Hopefully abusing her narcissism and pride would work for me.

The conditional else if statement regarding my productivity level was looking more like an else not right about now.

I also couldn't really focus or concentrate because I was ridiculously intoxicated by the thought of all the future possibilities with George by my side. My mind was in a very happy place, my imagination running rife as I slowly gave in to the idyllic fantasies I was conjuring in my head. They were beautiful scenes, and I had no issue with mentally indulging a little bit whilst I waited for George to come home.

The entourage of voices in my head didn't help with my attempt to program. They were teasing me, playing tug of war with my thoughts until everything was a convoluted mess of a landscape my true mental voice could barely navigate and make sense of. The strident voices screamed at the dulcet, the abrasive at the soft, like how the devil spoke malevolence and malice to oppose the angel's benevolent and rather altruistic words. Ying and yang were playing a game in my mind.

Then, George came home.

The front door opened, slowly and quietly. The slight creak broke the heavy silence in the apartment, pulling me out of my reverie and back into reality. And for once, reality seemed to be in my favour. I turned to see George step inside and shut the door behind him, his movements slow and listless.

"George?" I asked. I didn't get a response. George dropped his hand back to his side and slumped down on the couch beside me, silent tears leaving glistening tracks down his face.

"George, what is it?" I asked softly, putting an arm around him. I knew of my own doings, of course. It was all just for my facade's sake. All to make me not seem like a fucking creep. George shook his head slowly, his eyes downcast.

"She-" His breath hitched in his throat.

"Who?" I asked quietly, the omniscient knowledge I had of what happened requiring a herculean effort to suppress and stifle. I had to be convincingly empathetic, and the hollow fulfillment of triump wouldn't be beneficial to my cause at all. Come on, I've been able to keep up all the lies for twenty one years now. I can do this.

"Lia. S-s-she-" George exhaled shakily, tears sliding down his face. I moved a little closer, shifting my weight slightly. I would be lying if I said I didn't feel satisfaction in knowing that my plan had worked, at least a little bit. But I would also be lying if I said that satisfaction wasn't tainted by the sight of such heartbreak, such sorrow. Strange.

"What'd she do, George?" I asked. George sobbed, his composure crashing down like the world around him. He buried his face in his hands and slumped forward. He looked up at me, his face flushed and pink, his eyes shining with tears. I felt a pang of discontent hit me. No, I'm not supposed to feel guilty. This can't be reget. It's nothing. Ignore it, ignore it.

"She cheated on me. Lia cheated on me." He whispered hollowly, his voice shaky and weak. George closed his eyes and burst into more sobs, his back quivering and trembling. I gently rubbed circles into his back, letting him cry without saying a single word. He deserved some time to be sad, and though I didn't know what that felt like, I knew that people needed time to cope with things. But for my sake I hoped he didn't need that much time. Again, more discontent bloomed. No, now is not the time. Especially for something I'm not supposed to feel.