XII - The Perilous Obstacle Race

No one's POV

It was finally the day, the day of the UA Sports Festival! An event that will broadcast live on TV and other platforms. This event also happens only once in a school year at UA, and is the perfect chance to get scouted by a pro hero to get interned with. And at the moment, everyone is in their respective waiting room, separated by class.

John's POV

Man.. I'm getting a bit cold feet now. I sat on a bench with my UA PE clothes on, as we all just waited till we get outside. I decided to walk around, which led me to eavesdrop on a little conversation. "Are you.. All Might's secret love child?" "Huh?" 

The convo between Prince Zuko and Broccoli boi piqued by interest. Secret love child of All Might? So I'm not the only one who thinks that? I might have to speak with good old Todoroki later.. though he'll probably just give me the cold shoulder like everyone else.

Eventually, we were all called out. But I was taken by Midnight for some reason. "Hey kiddo, since you scored the highest in the exams, you should give everyone a good speech." She says with a wink, to which I just nodded and went up to a small stage. I looked at everyone as they all looked at me. Well now I'm a nervous wreck. But I took a deep breath, before giving a speech I just made up like five seconds ago.

"Today is a big day for all of us, and I'm sure that we all have long awaited for this opportunity. Let's all show everyone that the students of UA are made of!" I exclaimed the last sentence, raising my right arm in hopes that they will also do the same cause otherwise I'd just roll into a ball in the corner and die.

Thankfully, they all did the same and began radiating positive energies. Oh thank god I didn't made a fool of myself. 

Later~

The first part of the event, a preliminary round. It was an obstacle course which is self explanatory. We all have to race through different obstacles and make it to the finish line. We were all by the start, waiting for the signal. "Alright Eraser man!" Present Mic began shouting out. "To when and where should we look closely?!" "This part" Aizawa's tired voice said.

Fortunately, I know how this is gonna go at first. Shoto is gonna freeze everyone else using his quirk, so as soon as the signal goes off I'll jump to avoid the slippery and cold ice he'll  release. Which Shoto did, and I, along with the rest of the class dodged. Guess all of them also had the same idea.

Shoto began fleeing, using his ice quirk. Bakugo was using his explosion to fly into the air. I managed to copy both of their quirks just in case. But then suddenly.. I discovered a little extra about Shoto's quirk.

I then went pass him, as I was sliding on the amber orange ice I was creating with my right side, and from my left, generating concentrated black flames from my left side to boost my speed tremendously. I had to be really concentrated though, otherwise I might lose my balance and tumble at high speeds on the ground instead.

I could catch a glimpse behind me from time to time, seeing Shoto and Bakugo trying to catch up. I just smirked, and increased my firepower even more. Then, I saw massive robots that looked rather familiar.. oh shit it's the zero pointers from the practical exam.. And there's so damn many!

I slowed down my flames rapidly, and used my ice to completely stop my momentum but not before launching a massive glacier at the robots, freezing them in place as well. Taking this opportunity, I began using Bakugo's explosions to ascend quickly above the robots, and began flying pass them, and dodging the other upcoming zero pointers.

I could hear and see the frozen robots I left behind collapsing. Hopefully I didn't hurt anybody indirectly like that. "Look at that! John from Class A has hit two birds with one stone! By freezing the zero pointers in order for him to ascend and keep going, he also had them collapse and halt the players for some time! Talk about strategy!" Present mic.

"More like coincidence" I muttered as I landed back on the ground, only to see the next stage. "And like that folks, a student has reached the second stage, The Fall! If you fall down, you get disqualified immediately!" Present Mic noted. I wasn't much thanks to Bakugo's explosions as I practically flew over it. And looking back, Bakugo and Shoto have already caught up. Damn that was quick. And over yonder I could already see a few other students like Tokoyami and Sero.

When they finally caught up to me, the three of us began fighting each other as we raced over the final stage, which were filled with landmines. I was mainly the target for obvious reasons. "Take this copy cat!" Bakugo yells as he launches an explosion at me, to which I hardly dodge, and before I could counter attack, Shoto tries to freeze my left hand to which I ignite with black flames. He seems very annoyed by this, leaving me to believe it's connected to why he won't use the fire side of his quirk. Did his father gave him his burnt side of the face like Ozai did to Zuko?

But nonetheless, I was still in the lead when a massive explosion ignited behind us and.. Izuku began flying ahead of us at top speed. "wat"

And of course, even though the guy is my good friend, me and the other two began chasing him to try and slow him down as we still try to race with each other. As we were about to catch up to him as he was losing momentum, he smacked the land mines in front of us, blowing us away as it propelled him even further.

He then made a run for it, and got first place while I reached second with Shoto getting third. "Damn.. that was pretty crazy back there" I said to Izuku as I walk up to him, only to see him with teary eyes. "Are.. you okay?-" He just nods. "Yeah.. Just overjoyed and all" I sighed, rubbing the back of my head. "I was so close too.. man I still can't believe that stunt you just pulled that earned you your win"

Eventually, all the other students began pouring in. Midnight then announced- "All the 42 students that have reached here shall be the ones to advance to the next round! The rest are disqualified!"

I could hear a few groans and quite a lot of relieved sighs. "The next part of the sports festival, will be the Cavalry Battle! Where students will form a  team of 4 and rack up as much points to reach the next stage! The points will be based on headbands, and the points that will be given depends on what number you placed!"

A board then showed up, revealing points. Izuku looks horrified and I could see why. "10 million points huh?" I say as I looked up at the board, then to Izuku, whom could feel everyone's glare and gaze. 

Looks like he's gonna be the primary target for everyone.