𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐊𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄

I flip my pillow to the cool side once more, annoyed at myself. I can't sleep. Again. I've been like this for as long as I can remember, but tonight I'm more agitated than usual. Tomorrow, I'm taking the SATs and I planned on trying to fall asleep at a decent time tonight. 

I look over to my nightstand again feeling for my phone. Aha there you are! 4:57 am. Shit. I have to wake up in half an hour! I sigh, contemplating whether or not I should just begin getting ready now. Making my decision, I slowly slide out of bed and head to the bathroom.

My house is fairly small, with a spacious front porch. My room is on the top floor and my window has access to the roof, where I often lay on to watch the stars when I can't sleep. Tonight wasn't a roof night, however, since I tried to fall asleep as fast as possible. Of course, that didn't happen.

I walk into the bathroom and skid my socks against the black and white tile floor

I walk into the bathroom and skid my socks against the black and white tile floor. I like our bathroom, especially after my mom remodeled it. I yawn while looking into the mirror and studied my face, criticizing parts that I wish I can change. I sit on the counter to get closer and pop the invisible blackheads on my nose, figuring I have plenty of time to dillydally. Once done picking at my face, I grab my green towel from a shelf and plop it on the toilet next to the shower. Turning the water on, I gaze at my naked reflection in the mirror once more and shudder.

~~TRIGGER WARNING~~

"Shhh! Stop moving and it will be over!"

I grasp the walls of the bathtub until my knuckles turn white and cry in pain, thrashing my legs at him.  

"Please stop! Please!" I scream.

He slaps my head with the back of his hand and knocks me out.

"Charlotte? You in there?" I jump, forgetting where I was.

"Yeah mom, I'm taking a shower!" I answered. I'm surprised she woke up since usually she's a heavy sleeper and most days I'm able to bang around.
I put my hand under the water to make sure it's the right temperature. Satisfied, I walk in and look up into the hot steamy water while rubbing my hands on my face, ridding the memory from my mind.

When I finish cleaning the rest of my body, I turn off the faucet and reach for my towel to securely wrap it around me. I avoid looking at my reflection in the mirror for the time being as I walk into my room. I glance at my phone. 5:48 a.m.  Wow, I spent a long time in there. I quickly pick out a sweatshirt and black leggings and lay them on my bed before grabbing my book bag, checking to make sure everything is in there.