𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊

Once Madison drops me off at home, I groggily get myself ready for bed. Hopefully the events of tonight will knock me right out.

I drop down on my bed and run my tongue on the roof of my mouth, savoring the minty taste from my toothpaste. As I wait for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, I find my mind wandering back to the mystery boy. I recall how he somehow made me speak the unspeakable to Mason. How did he get me to do that? With just one look at him, I did just as he said. Did he practice hypnotism on me? Maybe that was how he got that girl to so easily agree to go upstairs with him earlier. Ugh, and that smirk he gave me- as if he thought I was staring at him out of admiration!

I'm brought out of my rambling thoughts with a loud crash coming from downstairs, and I feel my back go rigged. I strain my ears as I shoot myself upright, conjuring up a plan in my mind in case I'm in danger. I hastily tiptoe to my door and carefully turn my doorknob. Shoot! I need a weapon! I'm so stupid.

I turn around and tiptoe once again, heading towards my shelf above my vanity. I can't exactly see what's up there, so I run my hand across it, until I hit a pointy object that feels like it could hurt someone. I instantly pick it up and bring it to my face, while using my thigh to brush the dust from my shelf off of my other hand. Its the glass heart my grandmother gave me for my 5th birthday. I swiftly walk back to my door, feeling a nervous sweat form under my armpits. As I slowly turn my knob, I distinctly hear someone walking around downstairs, and I feel my breathing quicken. I walk half way down the stairs, and wait patiently for another sound-- preparing myself to fight whoever decided to invite themselves into my house.

Abruptly, a daunting thought comes across my mind: What if it's him? Goosebumps run up my arms and legs as I shiver, unable to move. Suddenly, I spot a flash of brown hair though the railing, and I regain my composure. If it is him, I'll.... I try to think of something to say or do, but my thoughts run blank.

When I hear another sound come from the kitchen, I quickly race down the stairs and charge for whoever is in there, holding up the glass heart as if it were Simba from The Lion King. I don't even look to see who I'm aiming for, my only focus being to get this unwanted person out of my house.

"Charlotte! WHAT THE HELL?!" hollers a familiar voice.

I stop in my tracks, slipping a bit on the wood floor. I fix my gaze at the person in my kitchen clearly now, and quickly realize who it is. I give Casey a sheepish smile and whisper an apology.

She rolls her eyes. "Look, I know you're infatuated by me, but stalking me on the staircase? Really? And then trying to kill me..." She looks down at the object in my hands as her brows furrow even more. "...with...that?" Casey looks back up at me questionably, and I feel my face heat up.

"I...I thought you were an intruder," I fidget with the heart. I look into her eyes and I can tell she's still angry about tonight.

She looks at me and then at the clock above the stove replying, "It's three in the morning, why are you still up anyways? Didn't you leave the party early?"

I shift my legs uncomfortably and begin to fidget more with my heart. Is it three already? I answer her with silence.

Casey sighs and sits down at the kitchen table, and I realize she's holding a big glass of water in her hands. "How much did you drink?" I ask.

"It was just a few beers, but I have work tomorrow... or I mean today.... so I want to make sure I'm sobered up,"

I nod my head in understanding and then it hits me- its three in the morning. I WOKE UP at four in the morning tod- I mean yesterday! Wait no. Did I even sleep? I can't remember.