- Four -

Steven's POV:

Y/N and i were standing on the warp pad, the gems nowhere to be found.

i put my hand on her shoulder to hold brace her. "don't float around too much, you'll get hurt when we get there."

Y/N nodded and i activated the warp pad. we floated up in chiming silence for as long as i could bare.

i turned her slightly to face me as i cleared my throat. "so, how much of my life have you seen, exactly?"

am i even real?

"the first episode starts when Cookie Cats stopped selling products and you guys fought the centipeedle." she said.

"wow, that was a long time ago." i hummed. before i could ask anything else, i felt the ground under our feet.

Y/N looked around with stars in her eyes, then yelped. "what the hell?! that hurts!" she rubbed her eyes, blinking her pupils back to normal.

"yeah, you get used to it." i put a hand on the small of her back, leading her off of the warp pad and toward blue diamonds room. i waved at blue pearl as she opened the door for us, sending her a smile.

"woah." Y/N breathed, craning her neck to look up at blue. "i totally underestimated the size of the diamonds." she whispered to me. "hi blue!" she shouted up.

blue diamond flew down a small... cloud? for us to climb onto.

when did clouds happen?

when we reached blue's earshot i picked up a chunk of the cloud. "where'd this come from?" i laughed.

"they all switched around their powers to be less dictating." Y/N whispered to me.

blue smiled sweetly at Y/N. "this little human is correct. my clouds bring happiness to their recipients instead of my usual... impending doom." blue waved a dismissive hand, pushing the thought of 'doom' away.

i nodded, laughing still. "that explains why i can't stop laughing!"

this is too forced, i can't stop. i don't like this, i can't stop. i can't-

Y/N put a hand on my shoulder with a bright smile. "nothing is being forced on you, the clouds simply bring a little joy to sad gems."

blue nodded. "yes, steven. i made people cry for so many years, it's nice to do the opposite."

"i know." i sighed after a moment, calming myself down. "actually, since we are here i wanted to talk to you about something that's been going on. for some reason my powers have-"

Y/N slapped a hand over my mouth. "nope! this makes it worse. so much worse. let's go meet yellow instead. she seems... confident?" she turned back to blue, smiling again. "it was nice meeting you, blue."

"you too, little human." blue lowered us to the ground and waved goodbye.

"what would happen if i did talk to the diamonds?" i asked Y/N as we walked back out into the hallway.

she contemplated for a long while before answer. "you panic. they love you, so they try to help you, and it makes you feel like they're forcing you to change. and... you may or may not try to slam white's head into a pillar."

"oh, okay... WAIT I DID WHAT?!"

she laughed airily. "oh, look! we're at yellow's door!" she pushed the door open before i could say anything else, pulling me inside.

yellow was sitting at a giant table, messing with a bunch of gem shards.

"yellow?! what're you doing?" my eyes widened, focusing intensely on the shattered gems in the diamonds hand.

yellow whipped her head around and smiled, beckoning us closer. "steven! you scared me! i am fixing my gem experiments." she motioned to the two cracked gems standing on her table. "watch!" she picked one of them up and zapped them with her index finger. their arms and legs twisted back to normal and they smiled widely.

steven tugged on my wrist, leaning closer to whisper in my ear. "can she not help me with the swelling?"

Y/N shook her head. "nope. she can change your size, but that's about it."

yellow leaned down closer to our level. "so, who's your little friend? is she a... hybrid sapphire?"

Y/N laughed. "no, just a human. i got transported to your dimension and i'm trying to stop Steven from-" she stopped suddenly, smiling awkwardly to cover herself. "anyways, it's nice to meet you in real life."

yellow laughed loudly. "she's funny, steven! it's nice to meet you, too! white would just love you, her room is right across the hall."

"steven?" Y/N looked to me for confirmation.

"uh, yeah, sure! but i still wanted to talk to-"

Y/N grabbed my arm and pulled me out of the room before i could finish. "nope."

we traveled across the hall and opened the door to white's room. "steven?" white turned fluidly to greet us. "how lovely to see you!" she smiled widely.

Y/N shielded her eyes, groaning. "wow, they really tone her brightness down in the show."

i patted her shoulder reassuringly. "your eyes'll adjust."

"who is your friend?" white gracefully lowered her hand down for us to step onto, raising it to her bright eyes.

"i'm Y/N, it's nice to meet you." Y/N smiled. "you are really bright." she added.

white laughed. "that is very nice of you to say! steven, would you like to see my new power?"

"no!" Y/N yelled hurriedly. "uh- but, you can do it on Spinel?" she added, in an attempt to spare white's feelings.

spinel peeked around white's shoulder and giggled. "okay! that sounds fun!"

(edited)