Forty-Eight

Tim stood, leaning against the wall across from Rachel. They were all still geared up as they stood in the hallways of the hospital. He had brought Jaycee here as soon as theyd made sure Loretta was with her case worker. Jayee was worried about her father, worried that this was worse than they were telling her. She stood next to Tim, her eyes staring off in the distance. She had texted her mom to let her know what was happening and that she would keep her updated but she hadnt heard anything from the doctors just yet. Jaycees hands held her fathers hat in them, her fingers running over the brim so carefully.

"Givens?" The doctor walked towards them. 

Jaycee, along with the three Marshals popped to attention, looking to the doctor. The doctor sighed out and shook his head as he reviewed the chart in his hand. Jaycees heart dropped into her stomach, making her take in a shaky breath. She felt like the man in the white lab coat was about to tell her that her father was dead. She wasnt ready to live without Raylan yet. She had just gotten him. SHe had just found out about him and he had changed her life. He couldnt be dead. No. Not now. 

"Hes a lucky man, Miss. Givens." The doctor sighed out, looking up to her now. Jaycee exhaled, her body relaxing. Art rubbed at his forehead as he heard the news. "The bullet missed everything vital. Hes going to be alright. I suggest light duty for a while. You can go see him anytime." 

Jaycee immediately turned, hugging onto Tim as the doctor walked away from them. Tim hugged her close. He could feel the worry leaving her body as he held her. He smirked, pulling back after a moment. "Can I take you home, now?" He asked her. Jaycee shook her head. "Im gonna go see him." She told him. "And Winona needs to be informed. Theyre...trying to fix things." She said. 

Art nodded, looking to Jaycee. "Ive issued a BOLO on her plates. Theyll stop her if they see her." 

"I'll call her."  Jaycee said softly 

"Her phone is off." Art sighed. "Go see your dad. I'll take care of everything else." 

Jaycee nodded, heading over to the nurses station. "Rayl-" 

"Down the hall, first door on your left." The nurse gave her a sweet smile. Jaycee returned the smile, nodding at her before she turned, taking slow steps as she found her fathers room. Once she was there, she opened the door, seeing Raylan laying in the bed. Jaycee leaned against the door jam, her fathers hat still keeping her hands busy. He looked over to her, obviously drugged. 

"Hey there, pretty girl." He whispered. Jaycee moved over to the chair in the room, sitting down. "How are you?" His hand placed on her face, caressing her cheek with his thumb. 

"Worried. How are you?" 

"Sore and high." He smirked. "There were real pretty horses earlier. I think you would have liked them." He was talking about what he'd seen when he finally passed out from blood loss. Jaycee took in a deep breath, leaning into his hand a little more. "I get the feeling youre upset." 

"No, no. Not upset. Just scared. I thought I had lost you." She whispered. "I know neither of us have been really close over the past few months but you are my dad. I dont want you to die." She said softly .

"Its gonna take a lot more than a bullet from the Bennets gun thugs to kill me." He smiled at her, his hand finally placing back on his bed. Jaycee rested his hat on her knee, looking down. 

"He had a gun pointed at your head, Dad." 

"And who is dead?" 

"Almost both of you." 

Raylan smirked at her words and nodded. "You got me there, kiddo." He sighed out, looking up at the ceiling. "Howd you guys know where I was?" 

"Winona came in and asked Art to help. He told her no, so I went in and threatened to come help you. He didnt want AUSA up his ass about the Givens again." She smiled. 

"Already learning the tricks of the trade, are ya?" He asked her softly.  

"I learned from the best." She nodded. Raylan sighed softly, looking over to his daughter. He gave her a smile but it faltered when he saw how tired she was. 

"You should go home, get some rest." He whispered. 

"Its a long drive back to Richmond. Im just gonna crash here and then go to work in the morning." 

"Hell no. Go back to my house. Your bed is still there." He said. 

Jaycee sighed and nodded. "Yes sir." She stood up, placing his hat on the table. 

"No, no, no. Take that with you. Keep it until im out of here." 

_______

Jaycee moved to Tim, taking in a breath. "He wants me to go home." She said softly.

 Tim placed his hand on Jaycees shoulder. "I cant let you drive to Richmond tonight." He mumbled. "I'll take you home and come get you tomorrow for work?" He asked her. 

Jaycee looked up to Tim, her lip becoming captive to her teeth for a moment. "Or, you could stay with me." She said softly. "Just for tonight?" 

Tim looked at her, tilting his head at her words. His eyes scanned over her as he thought this out. Theyd both had a rough day, Tims mind was reeling from his kill of a Police Chief, and her eyes were so warm and innocent. She felt like home and he couldnt deny that. "Just for tonight." His words were softer than they had ever been, knowing that they both needed this. 

Tim dropped his hand from her shoulder, turning to Art. "Im gonna take her home. I'll be at the office bright and early." He muttered. He picked up his bag, making sure it was secure on his shoulder. Slowly, he led Jaycee to his car to put her and his bag inside. 

On the road back to Richmond, Jaycee had rolled down the windows and put on a playlist of all of Tims favorite songs. He needed it more than she did right now. Their fingers were intertwined, holding onto a small piece of clarity while they had it.