The Sorting

1 September, 1991

Draco and I sat alone in a compartment. I could hear him flipping through his book, not really reading just looking. I was fiddling with the star pendent on the necklace Draco gave me for our birthday while reading the note from my mother. I hadn't even gotten to Hogwarts yet and my mother had already wrote me a letter, technically she slipped it into my pocket before I even boarded the train. I could hear her voice reciting the lecture she gave me on an almost daily basis; to smile politely, listen to adults, and keep my nose in the air because I am superior. I had never full bought in to that, Draco was better at that sort of thing. He was better at everything, I never knew how to keep quiet and play nice, Draco had already perfect the aloof, uninterested, aristocrat face. It was difficult not to resent him, it wasn't his fault, it was mine.

"I'm going to find Vincent and Greg" Draco said closing his book, "Coming?" "You go ahead, I'm going to just draw for a bit." He left the compartment, closing the door behind him. I reread my mother's letter, the beautiful hand writing, perfect cursive french making the harsh words look like they may be a heart felt note or deep poetry. I began to doodle flowers over her writing, covering up the words I wish I could stop hearing.

I heard arguing down the corridor, when I peaked my head out I saw Draco, of course, standing in the door way of another compartment, arguing with whoever was inside. I pushed him aside so we were both in the door way, "I can't leave you alone for two seconds" I said to Draco shooting him a glare "Is he bothering you?" I looked toward the two boys in the compartment, they didn't answer they just looked at the floor embarrassed. "Weren't you going to talk to Crabbe and Goyle?" I said pointedly at Draco, he took the hint and turned to leave. I turned back to the boys, one's hair was so red there was no way he wasn't a Weasley, the other was scrawny with unruly black hair. "Sorry about my brother, he can be a bit of a git sometimes." The Weasley boy scoffed "A bit."

"He's really not that bad when you get to know him, but if he bothers you again just let me know."

"I don't need help from a girl, especially a Malfoy girl." The red headed boy snapped.

"Ron-" The scrawny boy said trying to diffuse the situation "She's just trying to help"

When the boy looked up a nearly fell down, he was Harry Potter. I knew the boy who lived was in my year, but it was still shocking for him to just be sitting right in front of me. My father's words echoed in my mind, the Potter boy may be the only one to raise the the Dark Lord, you two must get to know him, do everything you can to get in his good graces. But looking at the boy in front of me, he didn't seem to have a dark bone in is body. That must of been why Draco dared to start an argument with him, he clearly wasn't the next great dark wizard my family had been hoping for.

He got up and stuck out his hand, "I'm Harry"

"Yeah I know-" I stopped that must of sounded so creepy "I mean, I heard you would be here... err I mean I'm Lyra" He took my hand because I had completely forgot all basic human interaction skills.

"If you two didn't look so similar, I would have never guess you were related" I laughed softly before letting go and turning to leave. "Please don't go, we have plenty of sweets two share" I smiled and nodded.

The rest of the ride was actually fun. Ron was actually quite funny and Harry was kind. I was a little sad when the train ride was over and we had to leave. Before we boarded the boats, Draco appeared beside me and pulled me away from Ron and Harry.

"Que faites-vous?"(What are you doing?) he hissed. He spoke in french as we did with our family so the boys wouldn't know what we were saying, though by the tone of his voice they could guess he was upset.

"Making friends" I said jerking my arm out of his grip, still mad at him for getting in a fight.

"With Weasel" He said accusingly.

"He's nice, unlike your friends" I said jerking my head toward Crabbe and Goyle. Before he could say anything else I turned on my heals and walked back over to the boats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Hall was breath taking, even though I knew the ceiling was only enchanted I couldn't help but stare. I looked across the room at the house tables, the green and silver banners hanging over the Slytherin table that, if I was lucky, I would be sitting at for the next seven years. I couldn't let myself even think about that, I wouldn't be surprised if I was disowned on spot if be that happened. Draco brought me back to reality with a small squeeze of my hand, "Est-ce que tu vas bien?" (Are you ok?)he whispered, I nodded slowly. "Désolé j'étais en colère, j'essayais de te protéger " (Sorry I was cross with you, I was just trying to protect you.)He was always trying to protect me in his own way. "Je connais" (I know) I said squeezing back.

"Malfoy, Draco"

He didn't move, I gave him a nudge. "Go on I'll be right behind you" He walked up and sat on the stool, the hat barely touched him before yelling; "SLYTHERIN!"

"Malfoy, Lyra"

I shook slightly as I walked to the front of the Great Hall. When the Sorting Hat slipped over my eyes, the room disappeared. I could hear a voice in my head as clear as my own thoughts "Hmmm, tricky, tricky. While you have plenty ambition, Slytherin is not your place. I think you'd be a much better fit in- Gryffindor" The last word echoed through out the room.

I froze, I could hear whispers erupt through out the entire room; but all I could see was Draco. He looked as scared as I felt. I tried to communicate with him silently, to tell him I was sorry. I got up off of the stool and tried my best to keep my head held high as I walked to the Gryffindor table.