Family

23 September, 1993

My fingers expertly danced across the piano, I had the piece memorized since I was ten so it was practically muscle memory. When I played I could go to different world, a different life, I could do and be anything I wanted. As I felt the keys under my fingers, I felt at home like everything else in the world melted away.

I heard footsteps in the corridor and immediately stopped playing. I wasn't technically supposed to be in here, but the choir room was the only place in the whole castle with a piano. The footsteps got closer, I was trying to decide what lie to some up with to get out of detention, until I heard a soft "She's in here" It was Hermione; Harry and Ron followed her inside.

"I told them you would be in here" Hermione said sitting down next to me. I scooted to the other side of the bench. "I just wanted to be alone" I said trying to sound nonchalant. "You've been saying that a lot." Harry chimed in, we all sat in silence for a few moments. "Can we just get to it?" Ron blurted out, Hermione shot him a glare. "What?" Ron exclaimed throwing his hands up in the air. "What Ron is trying, and failing to say is that we're worried about you" Hermione said still throwing nearly deathly looks at Ron. "You've been avoiding us, every since we got back to Hogwarts." Harry said stepping closer.

I didn't say anything, what could I say. After my father had seen me with Harry, Ron, and Hermione getting off the Hogwarts express he lost it, he and my mother were ready to send me to Bauxbatons immediately . The only way I was even allowed to come back to Hogwarts was because I promised never to speak to them again.

"I can't do...this anymore" I whispered barley audibly, it took everything in me not to burst into tears.

"What do you mean, what wrong Lyra?" Hermione tried to put her hand on my knee but I inched away.

I swallowed hard, "It's not proper," I recited trying my best to remember the exact words Draco had taught me "I should have never been friends with you in the first place." Tears threatened to fall but I wiped them away.

"Did Draco say something to you?" Harry said pulling one of the empty chairs up to the piano.

I shook my head. "My father found out, he didn't want me to come back to Hogwarts. Draco convinced him to let me stay, on the condition I start hanging around 'the right sort'."

"What's the right sort Crabbe and Goyle, who don't know their foot right form their left?" Ron half laughed half yelled.

"Draco's just doing what our parents want, Crabbe and Goyle are purebloods with respectable families." I took a deep breath I knew I owed them a better explanation. "It's bad enough I'm a Gryfinndor but hanging around blood traitors and muggle borns; my parents think I am some sort of punishment for not going down with the Dark Lord as it is. If just need to keep my head down it this might blow over."

"What are you planning to do ignore you friends and pretend to be something your not for yhe rest of your life?" Ron was yelling now, he seemed angry but not at me.

"Shut up Ron! Can't you tell she's upset" Hermione snapped continuing to glare at Ron.

"Of course she's upset- they are having you think you're some sort of monster for being a decent person." Ron paused, balling his fists. "You want to know what I have to say screw 'em."

"Huh?"

Ron placed his hand on both of my shoulders and looked straight into my eyes. "Screw them" He said calmly but firmly.

"He's right you know" Hermione scooted next to me, rested my head on her shoulder.

"They are my family" I said quietly.

"If they don't love you for who you are they don't deserve you, Lyra you are amazing" Hermione said. I couldn't help but smile, "What would I do with out you?"