Beater

23 March 1996
"Ly you know Mcgonagal's little project for you" George asked sliding into the chair next to where I was drawing in the common room. "Don't remind me its bad enough I have detention for a month. But now I need to find 'better outlet for my anger'." I said trying my best not to whine. "You have to cut her some slack, you did break his nose" He laughed. I jabbed him with my elbow "Pomfrey fixed it easily. Anyway it looks better now, I did him a favor." I defended.
"Minnie was still not impressed"
"Well what was your idea anyway because she turned down throwing rocks at slytherins"
He laughed before a smirk took over his face. "That's going to be a surprise, meet me at the Quidditch field after dinner. Bring your broom." He stood up to leave but a grabbed is hand. "Where you going? You just got here" For the past month I had barely seen him even at mealtimes he was always off in some corner speaking in hushed voices with Fred. "Need to talk to Freddy. I'll see you tonight" He kissed me on the cheek and he was gone, again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sun was setting as we got out to the field. "So what was this great idea of yours?" I asked while putting my hair up in to a ponytail. "You are aware you have a life ban on quidditch?"
"Yes, but Umbridge said nothing about teaching people to play."
"I know how to play quidditch Weasley, I was chaser on my club team in primary school." I snapped but there was no true malice in my voice. "What's quidditch have to do with my dumb project for Mcgonagal anyway?"
"Gryffindor needs a new beater, and I think you would make an great candidate"
"But I've never played that position"
"Why do you think we're here. It shouldn't take long I've seen you play you are a good flyer with great aim, just need to get you used to the bludger"

The bludgers difficult to get used to, you had to hit them in just the right way so it wouldn't go off course. This was proven hard to do because I couldn't just use my hands, no I had to use a bat which felt awkward in my grip.  But after a few hours I was getting better, no where near as good as George but I was hitting my target more often than not. The sun had fully set by now and the stars were shining.

"We should probably call it for tonight, it's probably past curfew by now." George called up to me. "Wait one more thing" I swooped down next to him and held out hand. "I'm not even allowed to ride a broom Lyra" I raised an eyebrow. "I'm the one riding it, you'll just happen to be sitting on it" That was all the convening it took. George swung his leg over my broom than wrapped his arms around my waist. He gently kissed the top of my head before resting his chin on it. "Bloody Giant" I murmured. "Not my fault you are so tiny" He retorted. "I'm not that small" "You're 5'2" love" I huffed but leaned into him.

"We really sure go back, you need to get to sleep" George said after a few laps around the field. "I'm not tired" I lied. "Yes you are, your French is coming out" He said laughing. "What you mean my French is coming out?" I quickly thought over my words I was certain it was English, I never spoke French anymore. "Your French Accent" George said like it was obvious. "I do not have a French accent" I protested hopping off the broom. He followed my lead and threw his arm over my shoulder. "You so do. It's not as bad as it was in your first year, but it's still there. Subtle most of the time, you really have to listen for it, but it gets thicker when you are tired." He said still laughing. I crossed my arms pouting. "Oh don't be like that it's adorable." Then he turned as red as his hair. "Kinda hot actually" I laughed, it was funny how that worked out the things I hate about my self were always his favorite things. I pulled him down to me and in to a deep kiss. "I'm going to miss you so much" He whispered so quietly I almost missed it. I pulled away and rested my head on his shoulder. "I know but we have 3 more months before you graduate and then we have the whole summer together." He paused and burrowed his brow in worry. "Ly I have something I need to tell you, something important"
"What is it Georgie?" I asked straightening so I could look at him. He took another deep breath. "Fred and I are leaving Hogwarts."
I shook my head that couldn't have been right he couldn't be leaving. "Next week. We've bought a store front in Diagon Alley.   We have enough money to live on and it's not like we will really be needing NEWTS anyways." I could feel myself starting to cry. George cupped my check with his hand. "Hey, hey, hey, shh. I will write you everyday, I'll come round for Hogsmede trips, and there's going to be a flat above the store and you can come over whenever you want." He held me to his chest and continued to hush my crying. "It going to be alright Lyra. I love you, I won't let you go."
"I love you too Georgie, I just don't want you to leave me"
"I don't want to leave you hear either, I told Fred no for so long because I wanted to stay with you but I can't do it anymore."
"I know, I'll still miss you"
"I'm going to miss you so much." We eventually broke apart and began to walk up to the castle. Before we went up to our separate dorms he caught my arm.
"Win the cup for me Stargirl"