14 - the interrogation room

——

——

Hotch stepping down as unit chief was currently, the least of the teams worries.

"He's back." Hotch said as he as he emerged from his office.

"He?" Olivia asked from her desk. She had since relocated from JJ's office to opposite Spencer.

"Foyet." Spencer replied and stood up. "Let's go."

Chief Strauss watched as JJ settled down in the seat opposite her. "Please state your name and rank for the record."

JJ leaned forward. "Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer Jareau. Communications liaison for
the behavioral analysis unit in Quantico, Virginia."

"And how long have you been a member of the BAU?"

"6 years." JJ said softly, as if only realizing now how long she'd been part of the team.

"Could you speak up please."

She cleared her throat. "Sorry, 6 years."

"And have you worked under agent Hotchner the entire time?" Chief Strauss asked her.

"No, ma'am. I currently report to acting unit chief
Derek Morgan."

"Who took over the unit because agent Hotchner's ability to lead the team had become compromised." Chief Strauss accused

"I...I don't believe that's the reason."

"You have a different opinion?"

JJ leaned forward again. "It's not just an opinion."

"You have a different understanding?" The chief asked as she narrowed her eyes at the agent in front of her.

"SSA Hotchner voluntarily stepped down so we could continue to do our jobs unhindered." JJ elaborated.

Strauss nodded. "How would you describe agent Hotchner's recent behavior?"

"Driven."

"Driven." She paused. "Agent Jareau, your entire team is on the line. If I cannot reconcile an adequate account of agent Hotchner's investigation into George Foyet."

JJ interrupted her. "We were all investigating the reaper. SSA Hotchner was not the only one, Especially after he sent us that calling card."

"The newspaper articles he mailed to Karl Arnold." Chief Strauss remembered.

JJ nodded. "2 letters from 2 different locations. They ramped us all back up again. I should just start at the beginning." She said as she began to recount her version of the events that had recently taken place. "Foyet had done a lot of injury to himself in the original string of killings, in an effort to paint himself as a victim and throw us off the investigation. As a result he became dependent upon a large number of extremely strong medications. We'd been searching the country for patients With that exact prescription combination, but we hadn't had any luck."