Chapter Eleven

Annabeth's POV:

For the rest of the party, I couldn't stop thinking about how Percy had kissed me. I mean, if he hadn't kissed me, I would've kissed him, but I couldn't get the kiss out of my head. Something about the kiss in the basement felt different than any kiss we'd shared before. It didn't help that I could feel Percy at my side the rest of the night.

We'd gone up to the living room where we all sat around. Percy sat right next to me, and when I say right next to me, I mean right next to me. I could feel his arm and leg pressed against mine the entire time as we played games like Catch Phrase around the circle.

By the time everyone started to leave, I was exhausted. I handed my keys to Percy who'd agreed to drive home, and we headed to the car. The second we were in the car, his smile left. He laid his head against the steering wheel and sighed. "I'm sorry Annabeth, I shouldn't have kissed you back there."

I gently touched his shoulder, but he didn't move. "No need to apologize. It's kind of our thing, right?" I joked, trying to cheer him up, but it didn't seem to help.

"I'm sorry, I swear I won't do it again. I just messed up; I know it wasn't okay." Percy sat up, but he didn't even look towards me as he started the car.

I honestly felt as if I might vomit. I didn't think that I liked Percy in that way, but the rejection stung. What I found even worse was that he wouldn't even look at me, as if the idea disgusted him.

There was no music on as we drove the whole way to the apartment in silence. Percy was chewing on his bottom lip and kept pressing them into a firm line, as if he had to force himself not to speak to me. Needless to say, the car ride was almost unbearable.

By the time we reached the apartment, Percy seemed really upset, but I had no clue how to fix whatever was running through his mind. He got out of the car the second he could, as if he couldn't stand the idea of sitting in the car with me for even a second. I hurried after him, but by the time I got inside, he was already in his room with his light off. The thing that threw me off the most was his door was closed, normally he slept with it cracked open.

I felt like I was going to cry as I entered my room and put on pajamas. I never did this, especially over a stupid kiss with Percy of all people. I wasn't the girl who got upset about some stupid rejection from a boy that I didn't even like. I guess this just proved that he didn't like me in that way at all, he may have even been repulsed by the idea.

I groaned and made my way to the kitchen, figuring melatonin would be the only way to get some sleep tonight. I dug through the medicine cabinet before pulling out a small bottle of melatonin gummies and taking two before heading back to my bed. As I laid down, I picked up my phone to see a text from Luke.

Hey, I'm sorry to bother you so late, but I haven't stopped thinking about hanging out with you since we parted ways. I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if you'd be interested on maybe going to dinner tomorrow night? Like a date?

I wanted to throw my phone. Luke who I'd liked pretty much forever, was asking me on a date, but I was filled with dread rather than excitement. I thought about the kiss I'd shared with Percy earlier, but then I chided myself. I had to remember that he didn't like me, and I didn't like him in that way either.

I'd love to! I wrote back. When and where? I'll be there.

I felt guilty as Luke texted me times and that he'd pick me up, but I knew I shouldn't have. Percy and I weren't an item so why even think about him? I knew that if I was going to have a relationship it should be with someone like Luke. We'd been such good friends for so long, plus we got along wonderfully without any bickering or teasing. If I was going to fall for someone, it'd be Luke not the pain in the room next to me, right? I felt myself slip into sleep, my brain eventually silencing itself as I passed out.