Chapter Twenty

Percy's POV:

I woke up about as happy as I'd ever been. Annabeth was asleep on my arm with her back turned to me, and I couldn't stop the goofy smile from crossing my face as I remembered the words she'd muttered before we both fell asleep. Annabeth Chase loved me. Or at least she loved me when she was drifting off to sleep in the middle of the night. Normally, I'd spend the rest of the day wondering if her words were sincere, but with Annabeth on my arm I couldn't seem to ruin my mood. 

I knew it must've been early, but I could already hear my mom and Paul in the kitchen. Paul would likely need to be at the school rather soon, and I wanted to see him before he took off. 

I slipped Annabeth's head off my arm and tucked the blanket around her before quietly slipping out of my room. I found Paul and my mom sitting with each other at the kitchen table contentedly. I watched from the corner of the kitchen as they just sat with each other. I thought it was sweet that they would just sit together while drinking coffee and holding each other's hand. Maybe most people wouldn't like seeing this side of their parents, but I just loved seeing my mom so happy and content with someone after everything she'd had to go through.

To be honest, I'd hated my dad for never having the guts to marry my mom. I hated him for marrying Amphitrite mainly due to social pressure when I knew he didn't love her even now. I'd gotten over it over the years, but a part of me worried I'd remake his mistakes and lose the perfect girl. 

I brought myself out of thought as I noticed my mom cast a glance towards me, a grin spreading across her face as she saw me. "Morning, Percy."

Paul turned around and smiled at me as well. "Someone woke up early. Normally, I wouldn't expect to see you until noon, and right now it's barely seven." 

"I wanted to say goodbye before you left," I said. "And I had something to discuss with mom before Annabeth woke up."

"Ah, I see." Paul stood up from the table with a chuckle. He pressed a kiss to the top of my mother's head. "I'll get going then. Love you both."

"Have a good day at work," My mom called as Paul took off. She turned to me the moment he stepped out the door and leaned in. "What is it you wanted to run by me?"

"So, unbeknownst to Annabeth, I'm forcing her to go on our first actual date with me tonight, and I'm in serious need of ideas." 

Mom laughed quietly before a big grin crossed her face. "You tell me your ideas then we'll both piece it together, deal?"

"Deal."

My mom and I spent the next thirty minutes planning what I hoped to be a great first date, even though a part of me worried that Annabeth wouldn't like it. I needed it to be simple, but I didn't want to be too simple either. 

After Annabeth and Estelle woke up, my mom made us breakfast while we laid on the couch. I wrapped my arm around Annabeth as she tucked herself into me. I was officially a pillow according to Annabeth. Estelle entertained us by showing us a dance she was learning in her class while Annabeth watched her do it repeatedly. 

It wasn't long before breakfast was done which was followed by a lot of Mario Kart with Estelle before lunch. It was nearly three-thirty by the time we'd finally left the apartment after hours of Mario Kart and a dozen or so board games with my mom. 

As we drove, through the recently snow covered street, I gripped Annabeth's hand. "So, I had an idea for what we could do tonight."

"What's that Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth said, mimicking my light tone. 

"I can't tell you it's a super big secret." I laughed as Annabeth scrunched her eyebrows together. "All you get to know is that I'm taking you on our first date, if you want to go, of course."