𝟏.𝟕 - 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐲𝐚𝐫𝐝

The next day, you had finished your homework early and decided to spend some time outside of the castle. You found a nice spot between two pillars in the shade of the courtyard and sat down, propping up your bag beside you and fishing out one of your favorite books. 

It was a nice day, sunny with very little clouds, but it was creeping closer to winter every passing week and there was a noticeable chill in the air that coaxed you to keep your robes on.

You hadn't spoken to Draco since your outburst the night before. He only sent Pansy after you the one time before she decided to stop taking his messages, though she told you he had asked her to pass pieces of information along to you several times throughout the day. 

Figuring you had less of a chance running into him outside of the common room, you settled down in your new spot and prepared to sit there for as long as you could manage before boredom inevitably took over.

A low murmur hummed in your ears and you looked up from your book to see Harry walking down the corridor, bag tucked into his side. His jaw was set and clamped tightly, giving him a serious demeanor. You closed your book and set it down next to you, waving him over. Harry's eyes lit up and he hurried toward you.

"They all hate me," he sighed, looking back over his shoulder. You peeked past him at a Hufflepuff girl who was leaning against one of the stone pillars. On her lapel was a round green pin with the words 'Potter Stinks' flashing across it in bold, purple letters. The longer you watched it, you observed that it was actually enchanted to swirl around and change phrases to say 'Support Cedric: The Real Hogwart's Champion.'

You pressed your lips into a frown. "Please don't listen to them. They just think you put your name in the goblet to cheat the tournament."

"Well, I didn't!" Harry snapped, flashing you an intense look. You drew back and his gaze softened. "Sorry."

You shook your head. "It's alright. And I know you didn't, but they don't. They're ignorant." You both huffed as another Hufflepuff walked by, flicking her badge and making a picture of Harry appear on the reflective plastic surface. "Like the badge, Potter?" She smirked, cackling to herself as she disappeared down the corridor.

Sighing, you tossed your book back into your bag so that you could focus on Harry. "I'm sorry about the buttons. Someone in Slytherin is mass producing them but I can't figure out who it is yet."

Harry shrugged and adjusted the strap of his satchel. "Not your fault. Thank you, though. It means a lot." You glowed in the praise, pushing your shoulder up against his. "Don't mention it. It really hurts to see you so distraught."

A sad sigh rumbled in his chest. "You may just be the only one who feels that way right now," he continued, making you straighten back up and give him a funny look. "What about Ron and Hermione?"

He shook his head. "Ron still thinks I'm lying about putting my name in the goblet and Hermione is avoiding both of us because she doesn't want to get caught in the middle of the fight." Harry ran a hand through his shaggy brown hair. "What about you and Malfoy?" He asked, a twinge of disgust radiating from his voice as he spoke his name.

You copied his shrug with a sad smile. "He made a really mean joke last night so I'm avoiding him." 

Harry's shoulders raised in a defensive stance. "What did he say about you?" He asked, his voice deepened into a near-growl. You looked up at him, confused, before opening your mouth in a wide O. "Oh no, he didn't make fun of me! He was celebrating because your name got drawn."

"Oh," he said, shoulders lowering. You fell into silence, listening to the birds flying overhead coupled in with tidbits of overheard conversations. "I guess we're in the same boat then, right?"