𝟐.𝟏𝟗 - 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐦

The following weekend, the meetings of Dumbledore's Army continued like normal. Thankfully, the awkwardness between you and Harry disappeared instantly after that night you returned from winter break and you were free to continue learning how to defend yourself from Death Eaters (as ironic as that was). 

 You were in a wonderful mood; Umbridge hadn't approached you or anyone else since the end of the Christmas holiday. You barely saw her outside of DADA class and when you did, she was all smiles as she waddled to wherever she was headed. It was suspicious, yes. But were you complaining about the lack of detentions? Absolutely not.

DA meetings always ran late into the night, after the day's classes were complete. This way, you could sneak back into your dorm while everyone was asleep and be there before they woke up the next morning. Pansy had recently taken to asking where you disappeared so often and with the help of Hermione, you crafted a clever excuse. 

"The library. Neville is tutoring me in Herbology."

It was a good excuse for three reasons and three reasons only. Firstly, because Pansy hated going into the library, period. Secondly, Pansy avoided Gryffindors like the plague so the chances of her actually going out to look for you under the impression that she would run into Neville Longbottom of all people were slim. Lastly, because Pansy had quit her Herbology class in favor of taking Study of Ancient Runes with Professor Babbling.

 For this session, Harry surprised everyone by introducing a new charm that you would spend the hour practicing: the Patronus Charm. He instructed you all to spend a few minutes conjuring the happiest memories that you could. The Charm drew from feelings of joy.

"Make it a powerful memory," he instructed, walking around and giving everyone advice. "The happiest you can remember. Allow it to fill you up!"

You looked around and watched with glee as everyone began casting their patronuses. Michael Corner casted his almost immediately and it took the form of a squirrel that scampered through the air around him. Fred and George stood back to back and you watched as a pair of hyenas sprouted from either of their wands.

The wisp-like animals began appearing all throughout the room, illuminating everyone's faces in a bright blue light. You jumped back in surprise when a few feet away, a lion took shape from Neville's wand. He looked equally as shocked but more so proud as the animal strut bravely around him. His patronus suited him perfectly.

"A full-bodied patronus is the most difficult to produce but shield forms can be equally as useful against a variety of opponents," Harry called out once more, now walking closer in your direction. You had been standing off to the side, too distracted watching everyone else's fun to even attempt casting your own.

"Go ahead then," Harry stepped to the side and gestured for you to raise your wand. "Give it a go."

You cleared your throat and slowly raised your wand to chin-height. Closing your eyes, you wracked your mind to find a powerful memory from your childhood. 

Your first time riding a bike? No, that had been traumatic. 

Getting accepted into Ilvermorny? It was happy, but it wasn't the happiest.

Harry was still standing there when you opened your eyes, his wand gripped tightly between his two hands. He smiled brightly in reassurance, flashing you a quick nod. You remembered the way he smiled at you when you first met on the Hogwarts Express, like meeting you was a fresh breath of air. You remembered him pulling up his shaggy brown hair to show you his scar while Ron pigged out on Peppermint Toads in the compartment beside you.

It was like a sudden burst of energy shot through you as you held your chin up higher and raised your wand a fraction. 

"Expecto Patronum!"