𝟏.𝟏𝟏 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐰𝐥𝐞𝐫𝐲

Today was the day that you, Pansy, and a few other Slytherin girls would be traveling into Hogsmeade in the pursuit of dresses to wear to the ball. You all had special permission from your head of house, Professor Snape, who scheduled a carriage to take you down into the tiny local village.

You had asked Hermione if she wanted to come as well but she insisted that she already had a dress. "Not that I'll be needing it," she sighed. You pouted and ruffled her hair. "Cheer up, Hermione. Someone is bound to ask you soon!"

Winter had appeared magically overnight and snow now capped each broad tower of the castle. You kicked patches of it as you danced through the courtyard on your way back to the common room. Your whole body felt like it was floating, excitement for the dance was practically bubbling inside of you.

"Where are you off to, Firethorn?" Two voices asked in perfect unison. You pulled aside the hood of your cloak and saw that the Weasley twins were making a tall snowman beside the large pine tree. They both looked up at you, laughing as you twirled around and kicked up even more freshly fallen snow.

"The common room. I've got to change and then I'm headed to Hogsmeade."

"Hogsmeade?" George came around the snowman and rubbed his gloved hands together. "Pick me up something from Zonko's, will you? I missed the last trip and my prank supplies are running low."

You stuck your thumb up as you turned around to enter the castle. "I'll see what I can do. See you guys!"

Hogwarts had been decorated to the nines for the upcoming holidays. There was a large tree set up behind the teacher's table in the Great Hall, streamers dangling from each doorway. The main corridors had even been enchanted to snow down onto the heads of students. It was an illusion, obviously, and when you stuck your tongue out to catch a flake in your mouth, it tasted like sugar cubes.

It got warmer as you walked deeper into the building and you removed your scarf, opting to fold it over your arm instead. The hallways were all but empty with a few gaggles of first and second years mulling about, playing wizard's chess on the floor amongst other childish games.

You had been so distracted watching the snow pile up on the window panes that you didn't see Viktor Krum walking down the hall in the opposite direction as you. You didn't realize it was him until he was standing right in front of you. His deep brown eyes were swimming with an emotion that you couldn't place.

"Hi Viktor," You tried to force the nervousness away from your tone. It was the first time you were actually speaking to him outside of your subtle looks and staring contests across the Great Hall. Not to mention the fact that people like you paid to see him this close up on the daily.

He nodded coldly. He looked different up close than he did from yards away. The details on his face were subtle but suited his quiet demeanor. "I know we haven't spoken much this year," His Bulgarian accent was thick and you had to focus all your attention to decipher what he was telling you. "But I am completely infatuated with you. Would you do me the honor of being my date to the Yule Ball?"

Your heart pounded in your chest and you nearly dropped your scarf before gaining your composure once more. The urge to say yes was almost overwhelming and you felt your head rising into a nod. But suddenly you remembered the silent promise you had made to yourself for the sake of your friend. 

For the love of Hermione Granger; Viktor Krum was off-limits.

"I'm flattered that you think of me this way, Viktor," you started, looking down at the floor. "But my good friend feels the same way about you and I would feel really guilty if I took that experience from her."