𝟐.𝟏𝟒 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬

As the days passed by and the air grew colder, you and everyone else at Hogwarts began counting down the days until Christmas vacation. Usually, you enjoyed walking down the long corridors and seeing the enchanted snow fall from the tall ceilings. But recently, you had been too preoccupied mulling over the idea of spending your holiday in Malfoy Manor surrounded by Death Eaters.

You were tempted to confide in Harry but you knew he would tell Ron who would then tell his mother and that Mrs. Weasley would ultimately extend an invitation to you. It was a tempting escape plan, but you knew that this was something that you had to do.

Despite the feeling of dread that pitted itself deep in your stomach, you managed to find time to get each of your close friends a Christmas gift. Since you were leaving early the next morning for the manor with Draco, you had to give out most of them today.

For Hermione, you had gotten a sleek leather journal with her first and last initials engraved down the spine. When she tore open the wrappings at breakfast, she ran her fingers down the gold lettering and smiled up at you gratefully. "It's beautiful, (Y/N). Thank you." 

 Ron was the easiest to shop for by far. You had to wait until lunch to give him his present just to make sure he wouldn't devour it all before the day was up. He had gotten two boxes of Fizzing Whizbees, the one candy he couldn't shut up about during your trip to Hogsmeade earlier that month.

The twins were also on your list. You ordered in two new crates of muggle-brand firecrackers since they had used up the last of theirs early on into the summer (or so you've been told). They thanked you profusely and insisted that you wouldn't regret it. 

 Unfortunately, you did at dinner that night when the whole Gryffindor table lit up with an array of small explosions.

You didn't have to worry about rushing Draco's gift to him. He could wait until Christmas day. It felt weird acknowledging that you'd be staying with him and his family, but you knew it would be even weirder experiencing it first-hand.

Before you knew it, everyone had gathered in the Room of Requirement for the last DA meeting before you left. The space had been decked out for the occasion with a tall tree in the corner and small paper snowflakes floating around midair. A fire was roaring in the fireplace and the air smelled sweetly of mint and pine needles.

You and Neville paired up to practice the Disarming Charm once again. The two of you had grown closer over the course of the year and you now considered him a close friend. It almost made you feel guilty for disarming him over and over again but he assured you each time that he would rather improve from experience than pity. You admired him for that.

Harry was making his rounds about the room, stopping every once in a while to correct stances and compliment jobs well done. As he drew closer toward you, you lost focus and found yourself staring up at him. His jawline was sharp in the dim light and it tightened periodically as he spoke. 

 He was, as you're sure you've mentioned before, an absolute dreamboat.

Unknowingly, you had lowered your wand to instead watch as Harry walked by. His sleeves had been rolled up to his elbows and you could make out the outline of muscles in his arms. 

 While you were distracted, Neville took the opportunity to cast the charm, making your wand fly straight up out of your hand. You whipped your head around to face your opponent whose eyes were just as wide as yours. He looked slowly from you to his wand and back up to you in disbelief.

After connecting the dots in your head, you clapped excitedly and raced over to him. "You did it, Neville!" You exclaimed.

A few others began to crowd around him and gave their praise. He flushed and the tips of his ears turned a bright red. Even Harry came around and clapped his shoulder. "Fantastic, Neville," he said. "Well done!"