Chapter One

Hoseok had always dreamed of presenting as a beta.

It was the perfect dream, the perfect mix of alpha and omega, of dominance and submission, of feminine and masculine, of give and take.

It was also the best way to fit into society. The most accepted subgender aside from an alpha. Alphas were treated as kings, as strong warriors, good businessmen, logical thinkers who were capable of many things. An alpha was someone to serve.

Hoseok didn't like that, he didn't like the feeling of being put above people, of being placed on a pedestal and served only because of his subgender alone.

And to present as an omega was...it was dangerous. Omegas were expected to serve alphas, no matter the condition. They were also not as...respected as the other subgenders. Even if omega's were fiercely independent, strong and confident in who they were, they were still seen by many as those who needed to be under another's care.

Hoseok hated that. He hated the thought of his independence completely wiped away due to only a subgender.

But to present as a beta? Oh, to Hoseok, it was perfect. Beta's had the same respect that alphas had, however they were never put on a pedestal, beta's earned their respect and showed it ten times better than alphas could, in Hoseok's opinion. Not to mention beta's never had to succumb to hormones in matters of heats or ruts.

Hoseok's friends- Hoseok's home- Hoseok's pack- was young, and small, but perfect for Hoseok. Namjoon was the head of the pack, an alpha who didn't follow the stereotypes at all. He was a kind and gentle alpha. Namjoon never let things get to his head and never used his power as an alpha to control the rest of them. Hoseok would always be grateful to Namjoon.

Jimin, Jungkook, Taehyung and Seokjin had all presented as betas. Hosoek had such strong respect for them, to have such hardworking, level headed and kind friends around him. Hoseok had always wanted to be like them, the men who took him in and looked after him.

They had accepted Hoseok as an unpresented member in their pack. Hoseok was a late bloomer, normally people presented around the age of 18 but Hoseok was nearing 25 and still had yet to show signs of a subgender presentation.

The thought would keep Hoseok up at night with worry. It was possible he would never present. Possible that he would present as anything other than a beta, too. The thought terrified him.

See- Hoseok loved his pack to bits, but as unpresented, there was a...a line of sorts. A line that he couldn't cross. This invisible, thick, dark line separating him from the other men. Because as much as Hoseok was accepted by the boys in their hearts, as much as Namjoon would scent him and the betas would dote on him, there was always that line.

Because as much as his pack loved him, it didn't matter, to truly be accepted into the pack, their wolves needed to accept Hoseok.

And how could they accept a man who hadn't found his inner wolf yet?

There was also another issue. Hoseok groaned as he tossed and turned in bed, if Hoseok presented as a beta like he wished, and like how the rest of his pack wished him to present, then he would be accepted fully without question. He would fit perfectly into their dynamic with practically no change at all.

The trouble came if he presented as anything but a beta...

If Hoseok presented as an alpha, Namjoon's wolf could view him as a threat to their dynamic, Namjoon's wolf could grow possessive and kick Hoseok out of their pack. Hoseok's wolf could also challenge Namjoon's wolf.