Writer's Block: The Nightmare That Every Writer Must Go Through

I imagine that most, if not all, writers have gone through that time when their brain is clouded, wanders in places where it shouldn't be, and goes through the time when you have no inspiration.

It is annoying, painful because you want to continue your project but cannot control it. You feel like you have already reached the end of your story when you are just starting it.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

This article is about how to deal with that moment, what you can do to dispel it, and to continue doing what you love (write)!

Firstly, let's define writer's block formally. Writer's block is the condition of being unable to think of what to write or how to proceed with writing.

Some causes of writer's block are as follows:

2. Procrastination, the most common block: To define this point, we need to define what procrastination means: putting things that are important to you away for irrelevant things, then it's time to say to ourselves, "It's not because you're blocked, or you don't have time, you just don't want to do it."

3. You're lost: Sometimes we pause simply because we do not know what we want to get to, so what would be better at times like that is to find a basic idea, a phrase or sentence that tells the whole story, or at least the most important part, and get the rest with it. This is why planning is very important. But do not panic because it's never too late to get into detailed planning if you have a rough outline of it.

4. Criticism and Overthinking: Sometimes we would read a super good book and then find our own to be horrible and wrong. No! Don't think everything you write is wrong, it isn't always going to be wrong, it's okay to want to improve, but everything in excess is not good, because it hurts, you have to understand yourself.

 No! Don't think everything you write is wrong, it isn't always going to be wrong, it's okay to want to improve, but everything in excess is not good, because it hurts,  you have to understand yourself

So, does criticism always help me?

No. At some point in your life as a writer, you have heard the criticism, whether constructive or not, that's fine. Part of the criticism helps you, only if you feel that when listening to it. But there are also ill-intentioned criticisms, or phrases that every writer who is passionate about what he does, be it for hobby or work, casts doubt on him and begins to think:

~ "You should find yourself another job that can feed you."

~ "You should have no illusions. Succeeding as a writer is very difficult, very few succeed. "

~ "You're a writer? Is that a real job?"

Being a writer is a profession like any other and as everything has its difficulties

Don't let ignorant comments dominate you. Sometimes those phrases are the cause of your block. Most of the time it is this suggestion itself that causes the mental block that kills inspiration to be generated. It is a phenomenon called a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This is when anxiety appears, an emotion that ends up paralyzing the part of our brain dedicated to finding solutions.

So, you have to have a balance between believing and not believing in criticism, trusting yourself and what you have written makes any bad criticism seem funny, and when someone gives you constructive criticism, you listen to it, say thank you, and think about whether you use it or not. After all, feedback could get us out of a writer's block.

Overcoming Writer's Block:

We have said that our brain will get bored of doing one thing for too long

We have said that our brain will get bored of doing one thing for too long. So to deal with that, we can change the way we write, so that our brains are stimulated.

Of course, you could also write a completely different story. On Wattpad and in the Coalition Community, there are countless prompts that one can use as an inspiration. But if they don't suit you, just look outside and think in someone else's shoes. The pop singer, Niall Horan, confessed that he often writes songs about couples he sees on the subway. J. K. Rowling wrote a seven-book series on a boy she saw on the subway! You could try this and write a short story - or a long one if some inspiration hits - that could cure your writer's block.

Or, if you are suffering from the third cause of writer's block - you're at loss as to what to do - you can get down to planning. One thing I like to do is to plan out each chapter of my book. This can help you make sense of your own story and find plot holes in it.

Finally, sometimes it just helps for you to go outside and walk around. A change of surroundings could clear your brain and allow you to be a more efficient writer when you get back to your story.

In conclusion, there are many forms of the writer's block, from a lack of planning or simply low stimulation of the brain. But we hope that this article could help you get over your writer's block and keep on writing!

About The Author:

Em

Emqlive13 ~

Hi! I'm Emily.I like to read because when I was a child, my mother always told me that books are sacred, and that is what I think about books. I have been writing since I was 13 years old and I have been improving and learning over time. I like to spend time thinking about how my story will continue, sometimes I draw, and almost always my family finds me alone reading.

Daisy 

the13thbluecat ~

Hello, I'm Daisy. I have been writing ever since I was young and focus mainly on action stories that are infused with romance. Currently, I am finishing up a story called Chivalrous. Other than writing, I enjoy baking and painting.