A Steer to Book Covers

We've all heard the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" Au contraire my friends.

The cover is the first thing a reader uses to judge whether your book is worthwhile to read. Yes, we readers are a tad bit superficial when it comes to book covers, and in Wattpad, the book cover helps market your book more than you can imagine.

So are you stuck now, you have an amazing book all written down but know nothing about making a book cover?

Don't worry, we've got you covered. This segment will teach you how to make your very own simple, minimalist book cover. Really it's not rocket science we swear, and hopefully, after you read this article you'd have picked up a thing or two. So buckle up or saddle up; whichever mode of transport you'd prefer... Either way, we're going for a ride.

What is the Purpose of a Book Cover

The purpose of a book cover is not to perfectly illustrate the story down to the smallest detail or to showcase every aspect and facet of the plot. If you think this way, you are too close to your project, and you are thinking about your cover too literally—especially in the digital world where books are bought primarily online and the presentation of the cover has changed from a beautiful piece of art to a small 100 pixel-wide thumbnail.

A book cover is a selling tool! Nothing more, nothing less. It serves the purpose to attract eyeballs and then get those people intrigued enough to click on the cover thumbnail and learn more about the book which, hopefully, will then result in a sale.

How To Make A Book Cover?

Making a book cover is easy, and even if you are not artistic, you can make your own. With the right trick and guide, you will be successful in making a book cover. Before anything else, keep in mind that you are not a writer but a reader in this situation. You must put yourself in the shoes of the readers to be able to make a good book cover. Now, here are some guidelines in how to make a good book cover.

Strong Composition

The composition is one of the most fundamental skills required of anyone working with visuals. And as with all fundamentals, the composition takes a lifetime to master, at least!

You must use text and pattern to add non-distracting details. Half of all the readers don't read books with a book cover that's too distracting. You must also use high and low angles in terms of making your book cover.

Concept

Concepts by definition are abstract ideas or general notions. Concept is one of the basic things that you must already finalize when you are making a book cover. The concept of your book cover tells the concept of your story, so it is very important to align your cover concept to your story.

Imagery

Imagery is also important in making a book cover. Choose images that are catchy and intriguing. You need to choose images that are connected to your story, otherwise your book won't give sense to your story. 

This one is crucial as some readers base their judgement on your book cover; that's why imagery is essential.