six: rescuing jasper

"We live in cities you'll never see onscreen
Not very pretty, but we sure know how to run things
"

team by lorde 

Avery stood with Monty in the dropship, waiting for Clarke to get down and go on the mission with them. Clarke and Wells came down from the upper floor of the dropship as Clarke told Wells he wasn't coming with them.

"Clarke," Monty said. "He's right. We need him."

"No one else has volunteered." Avery said, annoyed.

"I'm sorry, Monty, Avery, but you're not going either." She said.

"I'm sorry, what?" Avery said, a lot more annoyed than she was before.

"Like hell I'm not." Monty walked up to Clarke. "Jasper's my best friend." Clarke shook her head.

"You're too important." She said. "Monty, you were raised on farm station and recruited by engineering. Avery, you were the best Chem student on the Ark."

"So?" Monty and Avery asked at the same time.

"So," Clarke started. "Food, communication, medicine. What's up here," She pointed to their heads. "Is going to save us all. You figure out how to talk to the Ark and keep everyone here alive and fed and I'll bring Jasper back." Monty nodded in understanding, but Avery was not backing down that easily.

"No, Clarke." She said. "I'm coming with you." Clarke almost protested again but realized that either Avery or Monty were going to go. They wouldn't have it any other way. So, she nodded and moved to talk to Finn. Avery turned to Monty.

"I will bring him back." She told him. "I promise." They hugged and she set off with the rest of the group which, surprisingly, included Bellamy.

"Hey, Flowers." He greeted her, gesturing for him to come walk with her.

"How'd you get here?" She asked him as they started walking beside Murphy.

"Princess got me roped into it." She shook her head at him. Bellamy turned back to Murphy and continued their previous conversation. Murphy was confused as to why Bellamy was letting Avery listen to this conversation, but he decided to just let it slide.

"The Ark already thinks the prince is dead." He told him, gesturing at Wells who was walking up ahead with Clarke. "Once they think the Princess is, too. They'll never come down. I'm getting that wristband. Even if I have to cut off her hand to do it."

Avery shook her head and rolled her eyes at Bellamy, that was a supremely stupid plan. Murphy looked at her, confused, and she gave him an annoyed look.

"What?" She asked, in a sarcastically sweet voice.

"Nothing." He replied quickly, causing Bellamy to snort. They kept walking into the forest, Clarke and Wells walking in front of them.

The group walked further and further into the forest and Avery could feel Bellamy and Murphy becoming more and more impatient.

"Hey, hold up!" Bellamy yelled at Clarke, holding his gun lazily to the sky as he walked. "What's the rush? You don't survive a spear to the heart."

"Put the gun away, Bellamy." Wells replied. Avery thought Wells was stupid. Usually, you don't order the person holding the gun around.

"Why don't you do something about it, huh?" Murphy got up in Wells' face, pushing him forward. Clarke started talking again, probably to take the attention off of Wells.

"Jasper screamed when they moved him." Clarke addressed Bellamy. "If the spear struck his heart, he'd have died instantly. It doesn't mean we have time to waste." Clarke moved to leave but Bellamy grabbed on to her arm.