thirteen: avenging the fallen

"Oh, Father tell me, do we get what we deserve?
Whoa, we get what we deserve.

And way down we go
Way down we go"

way down we go by kaleo

"Clarke! Clarke! Where's Clarke?" Avery heard Jasper yelling from the front of camp. His tone was extremely panicked, and her eyes widened. Octavia. She sprinted out of her tent to see that Octavia was being supported by Jasper. She almost breathed a sigh of relief when she saw her, but then noticed Bellamy carrying an unconscious Finn in his arms. He'd been stabbed in the chest with a dagger.

"Finn? Finn!" Clarke and Raven both yelled. Seeing their distress, Avery stepped in and took control of the situation.

"Bellamy." She said, quickly coming up beside him and putting a hand on his arm. "Get him to the dropship, now." He obliged, and the group began to walk beside them. Clarke checked for his pulse, almost breathing a sigh of relief when it was faintly there.

"He's alive." She said.

"Bellamy wouldn't let me take the knife out." Jasper said, quietly. Avery, who was already standing near him, put a hand on his shoulder and nodded in reassurance.

"No, that was a good call." Clarke told him. "Get him in the dropship, quickly." She yelled at the group, and Bellamy handed Finn off to another delinquent.

Bellamy stood still for a moment, with the most uncertain face Avery had ever seen on him. Avery turned to him, concern written all over her face. She wanted answers, but something told her he was too distracted to give them at the moment.

"Hey," She greeted him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You okay?" He put his hand on top of hers, still obviously trying to process whatever happened in that cave. Turning to her, he nodded. He was lying, obviously, but Avery didn't get the chance to ask him when he turned to run after Octavia, who looked like she was trying to leave camp.

"Hey, hey!" He yelled after her, grabbing her by the arm, which she promptly hit away. Avery watched the scene from a few steps away from the siblings. She was very confused, and extremely concerned. What the hell had happened out there? "Why were you defending him?" Bellamy yelled.

"Because he saved my life!" Octavia yelled back, looking more annoyed at her brother than Avery had ever seen. Well, besides Atom. "That spear that hit Roma was actually meant for -"

The speed with which Bellamy cut Octavia off almost made Avery miss Octavia's statement. Almost. She breathed heavily. Roma was dead, and so, it seemed, was Diggs.

"No, you're wrong." Bellamy yelled at his sister. "I saved your life. For all you know, he was keeping you alive to use you as bait for one of their traps."

Avery almost stepped in when she heard Clarke's yell from the dropship.

"King! King, we need you in here." Avery looked back at Bellamy and Octavia, silently wishing them the best as she ran back towards the dropship. The inside of it was complete chaos, with Raven trying to fix the radio, Clarke and co. trying to help Finn, and other delinquents milling about on various floors. She took a deep breath, composed herself, and then walked in. She was prepared to do whatever it took to save Finn.

At least, that's what she thought.

------------------------------------------------------

"Hold it down!" Someone yelled over the noise of the wind and rain. Avery looked over her shoulder as several delinquents held a tarp around the entrance to the dropship in an attempt to stop the rain from coming inside. The storm that was hitting their little camp was brutal, and it couldn't have possibly had worse timing. Avery felt her anxiety spike every time she reached for another kind of medicine to try to ease Finn's pain. Bellamy had left without another word to her, and she didn't like that she didn't know where he was.