twenty-four: should've killed you when i had the chance

[tw: hanging, mentions of drug overdose, abuse (kinda)]

"don't you know that the kids aren't all, kids aren't alright?"

the kids aren't alright by fall out boy

When Avery first saw the group coming over the hill, a small smile rose up to her face. But the expression quickly faded when she saw the boy on a stretcher between Bellamy and Raven.

"Open the gates!" Avery yelled, jumping down from her post to make her way to the front gate. As soon as it opened, she felt her body lurch toward the people coming through it. Raven, Octavia, and Fox moved quickly, getting Miles, the boy hunting with Finn and Clarke, to the dropship. His scarred face passed under Avery's left shoulder and she sent him a sympathetic glance.

"Where the hell is Monty?" Avery's expression grew fearful. Bellamy avoided her eyes as he shook his head.

Monty was gone.

Out of the corner of her eye, Avery spotted Jasper coming up to her left, his feet crunching against the hard ground. Avery turned to him, her eyes brimming with tears as she took another shaky breath in.

Before Avery could blink, Jasper was in her arms. Time seemed to slow when he got there, the only thing she could focus on was the feeling of the boy in her arms. She hugged him tighter, barely even noticing as the news started to spread around camp. Bellamy and Miller began to usher the others away from the pair, letting them grieve for a moment.

A moment was all they would get.

As night fell, the children from the sky were still hard at work. They mined most of the exterior of their camp, only allowing the grounders to have one access point around it. It was their only hope to possibly fight back. They made plans, gave everyone a post. They hoped, they prayed.

Avery did her best to keep hope alive.

Hope that Clarke, Finn, and Monty would return, safe and sound. Hope that they would win, and someday live in peace.

But that day would not come yet.

***

"I'm sorry, Jasper. I am." Avery told him. "But we can't spare the resources to go after them right now."

They were standing in the dropship, and the look on Jasper's face nearly broke Avery's heart. But the truth was, they couldn't go looking for their friends, not with the threat of war looming so closely. Avery had to do what was best for everyone, not just the people she loved. That was the job, that was the deal.

"He would do it for you." Jasper said, his voice nearly breaking.

"I know." The King responded.

"He would be out there right now, risking his life for you." Jasper was nearly yelling. His raised voice drew the attention of Bellamy and Miller, who were standing near the entrance to the dropship. They made their way out of the cold night air outside the door slowly, surveying the situation. It was an argument between siblings, which they really did not want to be in the middle of. But Bellamy stepped in to defend Avery nonetheless.

"And then they'd be dead too." He said. Avery winced and turned around to send Bellamy a look that said stay out of it.

"Jasper, I'm sorry." She said, shaking her head. "But I'm doing what I think is right for the group."

"It's funny you didn't think that way when Octavia went missing." Jasper quickly retorted.

Avery knew he was pissed and probably afraid, but his comment struck a nerve.