twelve: what would you wish for

"Then one day, you took me out—to sea"

for my help by heyden calnin

"So," Avery started, turning to look at Raven, who stood beside her overseeing the movement of the rocket parts. "You came down in the pod?"

"Yeah." She laughed. "I came down in the pod. 'Bout time my skills were actually put to use." She poked fun at her friend.

"Oh, shut up." Avery said, shoving Raven lightly. "You know, down here, Chemistry is wicked useful."

"Yeah, well." Raven gave her a fake-annoyed look. "You know what's useful everywhere?" She waited for an answer from her friend, who had to clench her jaw to hide her smile while shaking her head.

"Mechanics." Raven answered her own question, causing Avery to roll her eyes again at the mechanic. This was an ongoing battle between the two of them on the rare occasion that they actually got to talk to each other on the Ark. It was all in good fun though, they'd both gained immense respect for the other. But, as Raven put it, they just thought the things they did were better.

Avery rolled her eyes as Raven walked away towards the scene of kids. "Cocky bitch." She muttered, and shook her head.

A few minutes later, their sheer numbers were paying off, and they'd gotten a lot of the parts they needed already.

"We need to launch those flares ASAP if we want any hope of saving those people." Raven yelled as she instructed the people disassembling the rocket. She walked over to Avery, who was supervising the movement of the rocket fuel from the fuel cells to smaller containers.

"King, I need you to -"

"Make sure shit doesn't go boom just yet." She grinned at her friend. "Yeah, I got it. The fun part comes later though." She winked and then moved to lift the container filled with the highly flammable gray liquid, carrying it over to the stretcher some of Bellamy's men had created. She set the container down, and nodded at the men carrying it, who nodded back and began their trek back to camp.

After waiting around for a little while, Avery made the conscious choice to walk back to camp alone. She knew Raven and the group with her needed to get some more things, and figured everyone else was headed back to the dropship.

Halfway back, she heard rustling in the trees. She didn't hesitate to move her hand to her knife, which was usually situated on her belt. She held her breath and waited for something to come out of the bushes, hopefully not a grounder or a large animal. For once, hope was on Avery's side.

"Whoa, hey." Bellamy put his hands up when he saw Avery with her knife in hand, ready to fight him. She visibly relaxed when she saw who it was, but her knife still remained in her hand, as did Bellamy's.

"Sorry, I didn't know it was you."

"Don't worry about it, Flowers." They both smirked at the nickname. "Are you heading back to camp?"

"Yeah," She replied, nodding her head. "Raven's got everything covered with the flares, so I figured I'd head back." He gestured towards camp, letting Avery know he was headed there as well. She gave him a smile, and they turned and walked back toward the camp they'd created.

The pair walked in comfortable silence for a while, taking in the trees around them. No matter how many days they spent on the ground, Avery never got tired of the trees. The way they smelled, the way they seemed to stretch on forever into the sky. The forest made her feel more safe than she'd ever felt before. Which was ironic, considering the thing the forest seemed to do the most was try to kill them.