Chapter 1: Malfunctioning

20 years later...

    Sparks flew across the room as I welded the final pieces of metal together. I stepped back from my work table, looking at my new creation with satisfaction.

   I grinned, my sharp teeth gleaming in the dim light of the flickering light-bulb that hung in the middle of the room. The air in the room was damp and had an old smell to it, the walls were covered in blood like splatters of paint. The room was dark, the only light being from the dim light-bulb hung in the middle of the room.
The only exit was an elevator camouflaged in the dark walls. The room was empty, other then the metal table in the middle of the room, a small cabinet of spare parts and a secret door that led to a dark supply closet.

    To anyone else, my secret hidden underground hide-out would've been creepy, but to me,  however, was a great place to relax. I often came here to sort out my thoughts and plot murders, or to simply relax. The distant and mysterious dripping of water was a relaxing melody to me, the dark corners was where I always went to relax, hiding myself in a thick blanket of darkness.

   A sudden thirst overwhelmed me, I turned around to grab a bottle of water from the supply closet planning to quench it, however, my fate had other plans...

   As I turned towards the supply closet, I yelled in shock as a sudden explosion shot me across the room, my body slamming into the wall hard. I looked around the room, my hand on my now broken left rib. My eyes locked on the metal table in the middle of the room. It was melting into a gooey mixture on the floor from the heat of the fire. I looked at the spot where my newest creation should be, but in it's place was melting pieces of metal and a burning hot fire.

   But something different caught my eyes, the fire slowly began to subside by itself, revealing a  small swirl of blue particles taking its place, growing larger and larger in place of the subsiding fire.

   I rubbed my eyes, trying to see if I was hallucinating. But the blue swirl remained where it was, growing only larger in the now tiny fire. I squinted trying to get a better view of the blue particles. I gasped, realizing it was a portal. Curious, I started crawling towards it, the impact of the floor had weakened my legs. I winced as pain shot through my injured left rib. I was within one meter away from the portal, I reached my hand towards it, feeling the blue particles dance around my fingers.

   I shielded my eyes as a blinding flash of white engulfed me, I felt myself floating through time and space. I opened my eyes, but instantly shielded them again as blinding white light shone at my eyes. I slowly began to feel comforted and I had a sudden urge to sleep, it was like the bright void around me was trying to drag me unconscious. I tried my best to fight the drowsiness but found my mind giving in as I was slowly pulled away to unconsciousness.