chapter three

"You wanna sleep now?" Lucas asked softly. My head had been cradled against his chest for what felt like hours. I nodded sleepily and Lucas let go of me. I laid down on my bed and yawned, my eyes closing before someone could say the phrase I love you.

Lucas covered me with a blanket and gently squeezed my shoulder before turning off my light and leaving the room. I fell asleep easier than I had expected, and I owed that all to Lucas. I would have to thank him in the morning.

•••

"Who is it?" Captain Hudson called after Lucas knocked on the door of his quarters.

"It's Lucas Wolenczak, sir," Lucas replied, entering the room with a salute.

"At ease, Ensign." Hudson turned from his novel to face Lucas. "What do you need, Ensign?"

"I'd like to ask permission for Ms. McIntyre to stay aboard Seaquest, sir."

"Lucas, you know I can't have any civilians aboard my boat and-"

"I didn't mean as a civilian, Captain." Lucas stared intently at Captain Hudson.

"No, no, Lucas, I couldn't possibly-"

"But sir, she's already qualified and UEO trained. All we would need to do is sign a few documents and-"

"Ensign. No means no." Captain Hudson looked at Lucas sternly.

"Captain, I'm all that she has left," Lucas squeaked out. He seemed genuinely hurt by the fact, and Captain Hudson paused.

"Alright, Ensign, if you want her, you can have her. I'll invite her to join our crew. But if she messes up at all, both her and you will be kicked off my boat. Understood?"

"Yessir," Lucas saluted before turning and leaving the room. Another victory for Lucas Wolenczak.

•••

"Lucas?" I croaked, opening my eyes slowly. He wasn't in my room with me anymore, but of course he wasn't. He hadn't stayed while I was asleep and I admired him for that. I straightened myself up a bit before finding my way to the cafeteria for some breakfast.

"Shelby!!" Lucas exclaimed when he saw me enter the cafeteria. I smiled.

"Hey Lucas," I said when he came over to me.

"You must be starving," he said. I had to admit that the food smelled delicious, and I was pretty hungry.

"Believe it or not, I am," I laughed, grabbing a plate of cinnamon buns and a bowl of cereal. Lucas offered to carry some of my meal, so I handed him the bowl Frosted Flakes I had chosen and he led me over to an empty table.

"So, I talked to Captain Hudson last night," Lucas said while I ate.

"What about?"

"Well, I asked him if you'd be able to stay aboard the Seaquest, like as a Lieutenant, you know?"

"What did he say?" My words were muffled by the bite of cinnamon bun I had just started chewing.

"He said that he'd be willing to let you join the crew as long as it's what you want," Lucas said. I swallowed my cinnamon bun and smiled at him.