chapter eight

When his lips met mine, it was like worlds collided. Kissing him felt so right, and I could feel the fireworks in my heart exploding. His soft lips moved with mine and he held me close. His hands moved around my waist and back as my hands made their way into his hair.

After a long while, when neither of us had any air left in our lungs, we reluctantly pulled away from each other. I looked into his beautiful blue eyes until the sound of scattered applause distracted me.

Still holding on to Lucas, I craned my head to find the crew of Seaquest watching us. I had forgotten that we weren't alone in the launch bay. Some of the crew was applauding us, and Captain Hudson was just watching Lucas and I with one eyebrow raised. Blushing, I turned back to Lucas.

He studied me for a minute, and I took that opportunity to move in and kiss him again. This time was longer, and maybe even better, if that was possible. Lucas broke it off and looked at me softly.

"I love you, Shelby McIntyre." My heart fluttered at the phrase.

"I love you too, Lucas Wolenczak." His eyes gleamed as he kissed me for a third time. This time, however, was cut short.

"Ahem," Captain Hudson cleared his throat. Lucas and I sighed, then removed our lips from one another and turned to face the Captain.

"I wouldn't normally do this, but since you two seem to have recently, er, confirmed certain feelings, and I don't want to see them, I'm giving you two the rest of the day off." Captain Hudson shifted uncomfortably.

"Thank you, Captain," I said.

"Thank you, sir." Lucas and I, holding hands, turned to go.

"Oh and, um, just remember," Captain Hudson was clearly uncomfortable. "You guys have plenty of time to be stupid, so save the stupid stuff for when you're not on my boat."

I blushed and Lucas chuckled. He nodded to the Captain and led me away, far away, to my quarters.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"We're going someplace that Piccolo won't be. Hopefully, no one will come here." Lucas opened my door for me and ushered me inside. When I was in my room, he followed me in and shut the door. I looked at him, confused, and he gently pinned me against the wall.

"I love you so much," I said.

"And I love you even more," he responded. Then Lucas kissed me.

•••

It was nearly supper time, and Lucas and I were strewn about my bed, my head resting on his chest and his arm cradling me. I was so happy, happier than I could've ever imagined. Having Lucas in my life gave it new meaning, and I thought of it as I laid beside him. I had only known him for a few days, and I was already madly in love. And knowing that he loved me back was a dream come true. I didn't know there were fairytales when it came to being in the Navy.

I sat up a bit, just so I could look at my boyfriend. The word didn't seem right.

"What are you thinking about, Love?" Lucas asked sweetly as I stared at him.

Love. That was it! Lucas wasn't just my boyfriend, he was the love of my life. And our first kiss had been two hours ago.

"You." I smiled and kissed his cheek before laying beside him again.

"Good thing our kisses didn't get interrupted this time," he said.