chapter twelve

It was now 10 pm and Lucas and I were laying in his bed together, cuddling under the covers. I looked around our room. The world seemed so different now.

"Should we get dressed?" I asked when I noticed our clothes laying on the floor.

"Mm, if you want to," Lucas sighed into my hair.

"I only want you," I told him.

"Well, there's no reason why we couldn't do it again..." He trailed off to kiss me and we kissed fervently until we heard a knock on the door.

"Ugh," I groaned before rolling out of his bed and throwing some clothes on quick.

"Who is it?" Lucas called as he quickly pulled on his pants.

"It's Jonathan," Jonathan said from outside.

"I'll get it," Lucas told me as he finished zipping up his pants and rushed over to the door.

"Hey, Jonathan," Lucas said nonchalantly as he leaned against the doorframe. Anyone could take one look at Lucas and tell what he had been up to, but Jonathan didn't comment on it.

"I, uh, I brought some food from the restaurant over for you and Shelby, just in case you two were hungry," he said, obviously uncomfortable.

"Ooh, I'm starving. Thanks, Jonathan," I walked over to them and grabbed the takeout boxes from Jonathan.

"Well, uh, I'll leave you two alone, then," Jonathan said, shifting.

"Uh, we'll see you tomorrow, Jonathan," Lucas said before closing the door in his face.

"That food delivery was well timed," I said sarcastically, opening the boxes and setting them on my bed so we could eat.

"So, do you want the chicken tenders or the pasta?"

"I'll take the chicken," I told him. He handed me my takeout box and I took a bite out of the chicken tender. "Oh my gosh, that's amazing," I sighed.

I handed my chicken tender to Lucas and watched as he bit into it.

"Isn't it incredible?" I asked.

"Mm, not as incredible as you," Lucas checked me out and lightly licked his lips before I playfully tackled him onto his bed.

"Gotcha," I smiled, attempting to pin him down.

"You can have me." Lucas grinned widely and closed his eyes.

"Not before I'm yours." I kissed Lucas briefly before pulling away and smiling.

"Why did you pull away?!" Lucas whined, rolling over so that he was on top of me.

"Because I'm hungry," I said. I tried to get up but Lucas wouldn't move.

"You can eat after one more kiss," he smirked. I rolled my eyes and kissed him again, but I playfully shoved him away and ran over to the food.

"Mm, now you can't kiss me!" I teased, stuffing my mouth with a chicken tender.

"Oh, is that so?" Lucas asked, slowly approaching me.

"Mmhmm," I nodded, trying to chew my chicken.

"Challenge accepted, Miss McIntyre," Lucas hooked his arm around me and tucked some loose hair behind my ear.

"Let me finish chewing first, please," I said, holding up a finger in front of my face. Lucas watched patiently as I chewed and swallowed my chicken tender, and when I was done, he moved in for a kiss.

"Hold on," I said, pushing away and putting on a pair of shoes.

"What now?" He asked politely.

"I'm thirsty," I explained. "I'm gonna take a quick trip down to the vending machine and then I'll come back." I smiled at Lucas and he walked over to me.

"Let me come, too," he said.

"No, you should have a chance to eat without the distraction of my godly body in the room."

"Hmm, is that what you think?" Lucas asked, raising his eyebrows.

"It's what I know," I placed my hand on the back of his neck and pecked Lucas on the lips. Lucas snaked his arm around my waist and continued holding me close to him.

"Captain Hudson said that we need to stick in pairs or groups," He whispered. "We don't know who or what could be out there to get us."

"I'll be fine, Lucas. Jonathan delivered our food to us by himself and he's perfectly fine. I'm just getting a drink from the vending machine."

"Shelby, I can't lose you."

"And you won't." I kissed Lucas longer, and this time, he was the one to end it.

"Make it quick," he said, his eyes overflowing with concern.

"I'll be okay, Lucas. I love you."

"I love you too, Shelby." And with that I walked out the door.

•••

The vending machine was all the way on the other side of the motel, so I walked around and around until I found it. I bought myself a strawberry açaí vitamin water, and when I turned around I saw a shadow watching me. Startled, I froze.