chapter ten

At breakfast, Lucas and I shared a bagel. Neither of us were really hungry, so we split it in half and smothered our halves with cream cheese. We got a private two-seater in the back of the room and ate our bagel halves quietly. It wasn't an awkward silence, though, it was more like we were having a conversation without speaking. The silence was filled with the knowledge of our undying love for one another.

•••

Lucas and I stepped off of the Seaquest, our hands entwined together. The warm Hawaii sunshine hung high in the sky, and I could see the sandy beaches ahead.

"Come on, Lucas, let's go!" I cried, tugging his arm. I was too excited to calm down.

"We gotta put our suitcases in our room first, Shelby," he laughed. I stopped dead in my tracks and frowned.

"Rooms," I corrected. "We're staying in separate rooms."

"I may have pulled a few strings..." Lucas trailed off, studying me to see if I was upset. I jumped onto him and hugged him, excited out of my mind.

"We're gonna be roomies!" I exclaimed, trying to squeeze him tight.

"Haha yeah," He chuckled, hugging me back. I let go and grabbed my suitcase before bouncing over to our room.

Lucas swiped the keycard and opened the door for me. I raced into the room and dropped my suitcase on the floor before flopping down on one of the beds.

"It's so soft," I sighed, closing my eyes.

"Only the best for the best," Lucas smiled, sitting down on the bed with me and stroking my hair. I wrapped my arms around his waist and smiled back.

When my arms started to go numb, I sat up and realized my mistake.

"We've wasted too much time," I breathed.

"Well, I wouldn't say wasted, but-"

"There's only limited daylight left! We have to go explore!!" I leaped off the bed and grabbed my bathing suit before dashing into the bathroom to change.

When I came back out, Lucas had just finished putting on his swim trunks. I threw on a light blue sundress over the top of my black bikini and slipped on some sandals. Lucas put on a Jimi Hendrix shirt and offered his hand out to me. I took it and we walked out of our room.

"The beach is so pretty," I said in awe as we walked along the shore.

"Not as pretty as you," Lucas smiled and wrapped his arms around me. I kissed him for a moment, but something shiny was in the corner of my eye. I pulled away and looked out into the ocean, only to see a silvery gray object in the water.

"Lucas, it's Darwin!" I cried. I kicked off my sandals and took off my dress before rushing into the water. Lucas followed close behind me. We both waded into the ocean until it was too deep to walk and then we swam over to Darwin.

"Hi, Darwin!" I exclaimed when I finally reached him. Darwin spoke in a series of clicks and squeals before cuddling by my side. I laughed and Lucas pet Darwin on the head.

Lucas had wrapped his left arm around my waist and was using his right hand to play with Darwin. I craned my head so I could kiss Lucas' jawline and neck while he pet Darwin. I was trying to be hot, but I ended up coughing ferociously.