chapter five

Beep. Beep. Beep.

A loud alarm sounded, causing me to jump back in fear. Lucas and I had almost kissed, and we would've, if not for the stupid alarm.

All crew personnel please report to the bridge. This is not a drill.

Lucas sighed before holding my hand and pulling me out the door.

"We gotta go to the bridge," he said as we hurried down the hallways.

"What will I do?" I asked. "I don't have any orders yet."

"You can just come sit by me and watch what I do. You'll have your orders tomorrow," he promised. I nodded and we kept running, all the way to the bridge.

"What seems to be the problem, Captain?" Lucas asked as soon as we entered the bridge. It was huge, with several stations and thousands upon thousands of bright lights.

"We have a stolen UEO vessel preparing to cross the Macronesian borders," Captain Hudson replied. "O'Neill, get him up on the vid link."

"Aye, Captain," A thin man in glasses said. He must be O'Neill.

"Commander Ford, be prepared to order an attack."

"Yessir."

"Piccolo, ready intercepts."

"Aye, Sir."

I was so caught up in the whir of the bridge that I hadn't noticed Lucas was gone. I looked around and spotted him behind a computer close by, so I scurried over to him.

"It's about time you found me," he said. "Here, I grabbed another chair. Feel free to sit in it." I pulled the chair up to his computer and saddled up beside him. Lucas put on a headset and pulled up intricate looking maps on his computer.

"Ensign, I need coordinates." Captain Hudson said.

"They're still near the Harbinger Base. If we travel at a speed of 35 knots we should be there momentarily."

"Thank you, Ensign." Lucas started typing quickly and I placed my head on his shoulder.

"Seems like tough work," I murmured.

"It's not very tough when compared to other things," he responded.

"What other things?"

"Oh, I dunno, like inventing things or..." Lucas looked into my eyes. "Or controlling myself around you."

"Controlling yourself?!" I asked. "What would happen if you didn't?"

"Well, we wouldn't be here, that's for sure. I'd probably be off marrying you on some remote island. And then we'd go on a honeymoon to Hawaii..." I laughed as he trailed off.

"It's nice to know I'm not the only one with daydreams," I giggled.

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow curiously. I opened my mouth to speak but was interrupted by O'Neill.

"Cargo Submarine 0420, this is Seaquest 4600. Please turn around, you are too close to the Macronesian border." I could hear small voices on the other side of O'Neill's headset, but I couldn't make out any words.

"They refuse to turn around, Sir." O'Neill looked at the Captain.

"Put the vid link up on a secure channel, O'Neill."

"Aye, sir." O'Neill pushed a few buttons and a small mass of people popped up on the screen.

There was a woman, a man, and two small children. I subconsciously held my breath, and I searched for Lucas' hand without breaking my gaze from the screen. Eventually I found his hand and I held it tight.

"My name is Captain Oliver Hudson of the UEO's Seaquest. We demand that you turn around, or else we will have to destroy your ship."

The two children looked frightened, and the woman tried to comfort them.

"Seaquest, the UEO took everything from us. We need a fresh start," the man said.

"If you're looking for a fresh start, you sure as hell won't find it in Macronesia."

"We must try."

"Cargo Sub 0420, I am ordering you to turn around."

"I'm sorry Mr. Hudson, but we will not return to UEO territory."

"Mr. Piccolo, fire grappling torpedo."

"Aye sir," Tony said, pressing a button. After a few moments, the Seaquest shook a bit. I fell into Lucas and he caught me, not letting go.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"They just blew up our grappling torpedo..." Lucas replied, stunned.

"I'm sorry about that, Mr. Hudson. But like I said, we are not returning to UEO territory," the man on the vid link said. The woman seemed brave, but the children's faces were ones of sheer terror.

"Very well then," Captain Hudson squinted his eyes at the man on the vid link before turning to Commander Ford. "Commander, flood torpedo tubes 1, 3, and 7."

"Yessir," Commander Ford drew in a sharp breath and flipped a couple switches. I could feel the wake of the torpedoes, and I held Lucas tighter and buried my face in his chest. I could feel and hear the explosion of the vessel. I peeked my head up to see static on the vid link, and I could see smoke outside of the window on the bridge. I buried my head back in Lucas' chest, and he kissed my hair.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

"Those people, innocent people, they're dead now. And the children!" I gasped. Lucas ran his fingers through my hair, trying to comfort me.

"It's okay, they're in a better place now anyways. They got the fresh start they were looking for." Lucas snuggled me closer to him.

"But that's not what they-"

"It's better than the torture they would've received from the Macronesians," he said. I couldn't deny that fact. If there was anything the UEO had taught me, it was that the Macronesians could be and would be relentless when it came to death and torture.

"I guess you're right," I sighed. "Plus the work on Seaquest will probably get a lot worse than this."

"For your sake, let's hope not. I don't want you to be sad or upset or scared or anything." I pushed myself away from Lucas' embrace and looked into his eyes.

"You don't have to worry about me. Now that I have you, I'll never be sad again." I paused for a moment. "Unless you leave me, but I'm not giving you up that easy." I smiled at him until he smiled back.

"I'd never leave you," he promised. He leaned in towards me and I leaned towards him. Our eyes closed and I could feel his warm breath on my face. I puckered my lips a bit, prepared for a life-changing moment.

"Ensign," Captain Hudson called. Lucas groaned and turned to him. In all honesty, I had forgotten that Lucas and I were on the bridge.

"Yes, sir?" Lucas asked, exasperated.

"How close are we to the border?"

"About 15 meters, sir."

"Thank you. Henderson, turn us around."

"On it, Captain," a young woman replied. She had short brown hair and a kind face.

"Sorry about that," Lucas breathed, directing my focus back to him.

"It's okay. We can't seem to catch a break, can we?" I sighed.

"Someday," he told me.

"I sure hope you're right." Lucas hugged me tight, and I hugged back. I never wanted to let go.