chapter thirteen

"Hey, Shelby!" Tony said, stepping out of the shadows.

"Oh my gosh, Tony, you nearly gave me a heart attack!" I scolded.

"Well, now you know it's me. I just saved you from a heart attack." He smiled at me.

"Tony, that's not how it works-" I was interrupted by Tony planting a brief kiss on my lips.

"Look, Shelby, I know that you're with Lucas and all, but I just needed you to know how I feel, and I didn't want you to-"

"Tony, I'm sorry, but I love Lucas. You deserve someone who can shower you with love and attention, and I'm not that someone. I'm sorry." I walked away briskly, leaving a stunned Tony standing by the vending machine.

I can't tell Lucas, I thought as I walked away. Or should I? I mean, Lucas has a right to know, and I don't like keeping secrets from him, but I don't want Tony to get hurt.

As I was contemplating what just happened and what to do about it, I felt a strong force grab hold of me and a hand cover my mouth. I tried to kick away, but the mysterious person picked me up and slung me over their shoulder. I fought as hard as I could, but I knew it was useless.

Feeling weak, I watched in horror as the sight of the motel faded away. My eyes grew heavy, and my limbs felt limp. I lost my grip on my vitamin water and watched as it fell out of my hands and landed on the grassy terrain behind the motel.

•••

Lucas knocked roughly on the door to Tony Piccolo's motel room. A tired-looking Tony opened the door, but his eyes widened when he saw a distraught Lucas standing in front of him.

"Lucas, it's two in the morning. What are you-"

"Tony. Have you seen Shelby anywhere recently?!" Lucas' voice was overflowing with concern, and he looked like he was about to cry.

"I, uh, I saw her at the vending machine earlier. Why?" Tony shifted uncomfortably, praying that Shelby hadn't told Lucas about what happened.

"She went to get a drink three hours ago and I haven't seen or heard from her since."

"What?!" Tony rubbed his eyes aggressively and hurried out of his room.

"Tony, where are you going?!" Lucas cried, watching Tony scurry down the hall. Lucas followed after Tony, hoping that he could help in some way.

"Here." Tony said, stopping at the vending machine.

"What the hell are we doing here, Piccolo?! My girlfriend is missing."

"I'm retracing her steps," Tony said. "See, I came out of the shadows there," Tony pointed to where he had been standing hours before. "And when she left, she walked this way." Tony started walking the way that Shelby had stormed off after their little encounter. Lucas followed closely behind.

"Did you see anything happen to her?" Lucas asked.

"No, no, but there must be something somewhere in this direction..." Tony trailed off as he looked around. Out in the distance, in the grass far behind the motel, a couple miscellaneous lights revealed an object.

"This way, Lucas!!" Tony and Lucas ran as fast as they could until they reached the mysterious object. Lucas bent over and picked it up.

"It's a vitamin water," he breathed. "Is this what Shelby got?"

"Yeah, but I didn't see what flavor she-"

"It's strawberry açaí. Her favorite."

"Well, maybe she dropped it as a clue. Come on." Tony and Lucas hurried the way that Shelby had been taken hours before, although they had no idea that they were going the right way.