Chapter 3

-Y/n p.o.v-

Skipping the last few branches with a jump, wiping the sap off your hands onto your jeans as you stand up. Gloves would really be a valuable investment. Facing Katniss and Gale, you take a quick glance at your watch before speaking to them, "It's about damn time, I thought you guys had forgotten about me."

"Oh, we could never forget about you (y/n)." Gale answers with a boyish smirk while he places an arm around your shoulders. "Who else is gonna clean our game?" Katniss said with a mocking smirk.

It's not that blood or peeling skin bothered you, it's just doing it to an innocent creature that got you, made you feel uneasy. "Or our weapons?" Gale said looking down at you.

"I'm not your servant," you spoke, rolling you eyes while giving Gale a quick to elbow to the ribs.

"Let's get a move on, we do have to get home in about 2 hours." You spoke, tone slightly bitter.

"You both so mean to me. "Gale mumbled with a wince while rubbing his side. You and Katniss rolled your eyes though the latter let out a quiet chuckle.

-----------------------+time-skip+---------------------

-Y/n p.o.v-

You and Katniss were crouched atop of two different trees and Gale was ducked down behind some tall grass. You were all currently about to try and score a male deer. A real rarity.

Gale was going to try and shoot it. If he missed either you or Katniss would have to take it out. Gale looked up at you and whistled the signal, which you were to repeat to Katniss letting her know be ready. You whistled lowly, Katniss readied her bow and nodded, copying her actions you whistled back to Gale.

Everything seemed to go still for a moment before the sound of Gales crossbow releasing startled everything awake again. He missed by half a hair but it didn't matter, you and Katniss were both quick to act, both releasing arrows at the same time. Kat's arrow ripping straight through the stag's neck and yours piercing it in the head. The stag dropped to the forest floor, like a rock sinking to the bottom of a pond.

You and Katniss hopped down from your perches, heading to Gale who was already inspecting the deer. Since you couldn't drag the deer (who you could tell was over 115lbs) thru the streets of town without getting caught and into some serious trouble, the only way to cut and prep the meat was in the forest.

Gale and you dragged the stag to the river to clean the skins once it was cut off and Katniss followed behind shooting a couple more squirrels and rabbits on the way as well as gathering some wild berries. Once you guys got to the river you and Katniss immediately started skinning the hide off the stag while Gale removed its horns and began cutting the meat that was already skinned. Katniss kept some cloth wrap in her bag for the meat. While Gale did the same for the hide and you would carry whatever was leftover, shoving it into your pockets or to the bottom of your quiver. You were all quick to work seeing as you would have to avoid the "peacekeepers" and get prepared for the reaping when you got home.

--------------------+another-skip+-------------------

-Y/n p.o.v still-

Katniss had stuffed her bag as much as she could, Gale did as well and your pockets, as well as the bottom of you quiver, were filled fully. Katniss and Gale held most of the stag's meat and hide in their bags, whereas you held some berries you had picked and the two rabbits and squirrel Katniss had snagged. You guys buried the leftover bits that you couldn't carry.

Glancing at your watch once again it showed it was 8:40 am. The reaping started at 10:20 am.

"We have to start making our way back don't we?" Katniss asked.